Chapter 25 - Old Friend

The words spread like wildfire in the golden castle. Ladies and maids alike whisper to each other of the matter. Ethan stands next to one of the golden doors of the castles, leaning against the wall and tapping his foot impatiently.

He bites his lips as he hears the healers giving muffled orders to each other- it sounded like they are arguing inside. Ariella Greyford is inside- laying limp on a bed with a bleeding arm, how could they afford the time to argue?

Caspien is walking around- back and forth, back and forth like he had nowhere to go. His older brother looked truly mad with his ruffled up golden hair and wide blue eyes, full of fear of the future and it worried Ethan.

Ethan knows- for a long time now - that Caspien loves Ariella with all his life. They are simply meant to be and even without saying it they're already betrothed. Ethan wishes he can say the same about him and Cat.

The nasty fight they had yesterday weighted on his shoulders like a ton of bricks. Father knew. He knew and he didn't tell me. The shock of Ariella wounded, the dread and regret for Cat and the hatred for his father are all too much for Ethan.

It overwhelmed him, like an enormous amount of weight had been dropped onto his chest. He- once again- wishes that he is in the forest, spring air dancing around him, trees lushed with new leaves and he is high in the trees and Cat is next to him with the smile that Ethan had grown to love so much of.

But even the stupidest of men knows that it cannot happen. Not now, anyway. Ethan was brought to reality when his older brother punched the wall in anger, the surface rattling a little. "I'll find them, I tell you. I'll find them and make them pay!" Caspien doesn't hide the anger.

"Calm down, brother. The knight already told you, the one that shot Ariella ran away. "

Caspien looks at his little brother, eyes full of anger. " Well, we can't let it go like this. I will not have it and neither will her father! "

Ethan knows that it is no shame or honor that got Caspien so mad, it's love. " You think Ariella will like that? Do you think she'll want you to ravage all of the Outlands? "

Caspien thinks for a second. " No."

Ethan cocks an eyebrow and leans back on the wall, staring onto the ceiling as he hears Caspien's footsteps starting again. "Well, the knight also said that she was with a girl, " the blond-haired boy said.

" And?" Ethan considers sitting on the cold, marble floor. His legs are hurting him from standing for a long time though Caspien seems restless as always.

Caspien looks up to Ethan. He knows that he should choose his words carefully when he speaks but this is his little brother for gods' sakes. "Do you think it's your friend? The one from my feast? "

Cat. Ethan doesn't look towards him and only studies the patterns on the opposite wall. " Of course, it is. As gentle as Ariella is, she is not stupid to trust strangers. "

His brother nods in agreement and says nothing, avoiding his gaze. Ethan side-eyed him. " What? You're going to hunt her down? Kill her? "

His shake of the head and an almost childish scowl on his face confirms Ethan's thoughts. " You know I won't do that, baby brother. "

" Do not call me that. "

" But it suits you so much! " The glee is starting to set in Caspien.

" Just don't, Casp. "

" Alright, baby brother. "

Ethan sighs and strokes his own face while Caspien bellows out a laugh. Well, at least he's laughing now. He hadn't even smiled since Ariella came back and Caspien is a man that gives smiles as much as he drinks wine, which is a lot.