Chapter 3 - High Valarians

Why are they here? To take people as slaves again? Or to execute another? The crowds' shrieks confirm my thought. This is not an ordinary Valarian. The ordinary Valarians doesn't shock anybody, they're even one of the best customers here, pocket heavy with gold coins. This is the High Valarians. The ones that determine the life or death of the lower people. There are usually royals of Valaria although some bishops, advisors of the king and judges hold the title too. The judges are unfair and dishonest, preferring the richer. These people, High Valarians, rarely come here. The only time I remember they've come is the day the judges and executioners come and tore father away from us.

I broke my glance with Laila and the feeling of curiosity gets the most of me. I turn my heel and start to flee towards the noise. I must know why are they here. Mother catches my hand, her face horrified. " Where are you going? It's not safe! " she says. I snap my head to her. " It's good, mother. I'm just going to see them. We haven't done anything wrong. "

Mother still looks unconvinced. " Go home first, I'll follow later. I promise. " I said.  I hand her my spear. The Valarians wouldn't like a girl carrying a spear around. Mother finally release the grasp of my hand, letting me go. She knows I will not budge. She nods and instead takes hold of Laila's hand and starts to run to the house. Laila looks unwilling but she follows mother. I rush towards the noise. As I'm running, I pull my hood up, covering my hair and a part of my face. Something in my mind says that the mud will stick out in the crowd. 

I spot the silver-white carriage with the Valarian crest, accompanied by seven horsemen, and I stop running. People start to gather around the carriage, whispering to each other, wondering who's inside it. I slip into the heavy crowd and somehow manage to get to the front.

The seven horsemen get off of the horses and rhythmically marches around the carriage and take their stance, protecting it. The crowd takes a step back. The horsemen are wearing simply decorated armor and hold a long iron spear. Just then, a plump man in white comes out of the carriage. He is heavily decorated with jewels. His fingers are adorned with clumps of ring and streams of gold necklaces are tied around his neck. He's not a royal, of course. He doesn't have the Valarian mark.

The man takes a moment and looks into the crowd. Almost in disgust. For a moment, his eyes meet mine. I look him straight into his eyes and his brown eyes quickly break the gazes away. I notice his hands are grasping a piece of parchment. A messenger. The one that sends the words from the king to the people. My heart lightens as I don't spot any judges or executioners around meaning nobody will have to die today. But what is it then?

The messenger rolls open the parchment and start to read it. "I bring here the word from King Badgur himself. The successor of King Badgur, Prince Caspien, has come of age and will have his eighteenth name day in seven months time. The farm will be needed to double their normal products for the Prince's celebration. We will come and collect it each month leading to the celebration. " 

Words of disapproval and displeasure start to come out of the crowd. The farm has already given most of the products to Valaria. Now they want to double it? That would leave nothing to the farmers. Their words turn to anger. The crowd starts to scream words of disapproval.

I whip my head left and right, looking at the Outlanders. They never did this before, they were always so submissive- one of the things that I hate about my own people.

Someone in the crowd sends a rock flying to the messenger's direction, hitting the carriage, just missing his face. The messenger's eyes grow wide and he jaws drop slightly. He wasn't expecting us to fight back. The knights surrounding the carriage draws their spear towards the crowd, ready to attack. The crowd stops and takes a step back.