Chapter 9 - Witch

"Cathellyn!" I stop in my tracks as I hear my name being shouted. Turning my head to the direction of the voice, I can see Ethan riding Snow towards me from afar. A smile crept onto my face as I watch him ease down the horse and walking towards me.

I cross my arms, "How come you're always late? I thought you wouldn't come today."

He puts a hand behind his neck and gives me a meek smile, "Sorry, Cat," he calls me with the nickname he gave me. "But I think you're too early."

I scoff in disbelief and kick him in the shins, making him wince. I try not to laugh with him hopping on one leg and rubbing his shins, trying to ease out the pain.

He laughs. "I was just joking, Cat!" He puts down his leg.

I roll my eyes at him. "So," I sigh, "What are we going to do today?"

"I don't know. Hunting maybe." He lifts his shoulder and drops it.

"Already did," I say, motioning my stuffed sack.

He sighs and scratches the back if his head, and suddenly he brings it back up and gives me a coy smile.

I look at him with my eyebrows furrowed, anticipating his thoughts. "What?"

He doesn't say anything and his smile just grow larger. Ethan takes my hand in his and pulls me towards Snow. My eyes widen and my cheeks redden from the sudden contact but I don't pull back. He whistles to the silver horse and the horse comes over to us, meeting in the middle.

I look at him. "You're taking me for a ride?" I never rode Snow before as I had no purpose to.

"I'm going to show you something," his voice full of excitement. I raise an eyebrow at him but he just motions me to ride Snow. I sigh and climb up, Ethan following soon after. Fortunately, the saddle is enough for both of us to sit comfortably. He sits in front of me, his back facing me.

"Where are we going?" I say, my head cocking to the side so I can see him better.

He looks at me over his shoulder, still having his smile. "You'll know soon enough." He turns away. "And you might want to put your arms around me."

I open my mouth to protest but Ethan heels Snow and the horse lets out a loud neigh before shooting its front legs out. I let out a half laugh and half shriek and quickly circle Ethan's waist to prevent myself from falling. And I swear I see a smile from him. The horse drops its legs and breaks into a fast canter.

The trees become blurry as Snow trudges through it and the wind whoosh through me. I stiffen my knees to the saddle to keep myself from fumbling around and my heartbeat rises erratically. We swiftly pass through the white forest and I tighten my grip on Ethan, and I feel a soft hand on mine, but it is gone soon after.

Not long after, Snow slows down to a gentle trot. Losing the blur, I look around. It's not much change with the same snowy ground and icicles on the trees but for some reason, it is colder here. I feel goosebumps rising on my body and a shiver running down my spine as I sit up straighter.

Snow comes to a sudden halt and I was almost thrown off. I bring my head to Ethan's side to see what is in front of us as he covers my vision. A small wooden cottage made out of cobblestones and wood. It looks worn out though, whoever made it lived a long time ago.

There is a tint of mold on the cobblestones beneath the snow and vines crawling on the sides like green hands engulfing the small cottage. My mouth drops slightly as my mind raced with questions. What is it doing in the middle of the forest? Who in the right mind would make a house here? Is there even anyone here?