24

STORYBROOKE - PRESENT

Leroy and the rest of the dwarves were gathered by the Storybrooke sign at the edge of the forest. Leroy spray painted an orange line, indicating the border of the town as he lectured, "This, gentlemen, is our mission. The great barrier of our existence -- does it remain? We must investigate the line." He pulled out a handful of straws. "I made straws. Short one crosses. Draw."

The dwarves each picked a straw, one-by-one.

"With the curse broken, we can cross, right?" Happy said. "It should be no problem."

"With magic back, it could be even worse now," Walter warned.

"Like, vaporize us," Doc added.

"Let's go home," Bashful suggested.

"Guys!" Leroy cried. "We are the Royal Guard. Towards loyalty to Snow White. This is our chance to prove ourselves to the Prince. We must do this." Everyone picked their straws. "Show your hands."

They revealed their straws and Mr. Clark had the shortest one.

"You're up, snotty," Leroy told him as he led Mr. Clark to the border.

Mr. Clark hesitated to step over it. "You know, what if we found a turtle and sort of nudged it over first?"

"Oh, for the love of..." Leroy pushed Mr. Clark over the line.

The second Mr. Clark crossed, a magical force began acting on him.

"Sneezy, you okay?" Leroy asked. "Sneezy!"

On the main street, townspeople were attempting to clear away the damage caused by the wraith. In his room at Granny's, August's wooden form was still lying on the bed. He blinked. Outside the town hall, Storybrooke citizens set up a Crisis Center. Marco was putting up 'missing' posters of Pinocchio.

"My boy... My poor boy," Marco said sadly.

Ruby was one of the coordinators. "If you are looking for a family member, come to the front table. If you need counseling, Dr. Hopper has a signup sheet. If the wraith damaged your house, there are cots at the school."

Mother Superior frowned. "This is getting out of hand. People are in a panic. They don't know what to do."

"It's okay. It'll be fine. We just need everyone to remain calm. I have a feeling our Prince is working on something right now."

David knocked on Regina's door. When she answered, he let himself in.

"Tell me... about this." He held up Jefferson's crushed hat.

"Surprised you don't have armed guards 'round the clock," Regina said.

"Don't need 'em. We both know if you step outside, there's a line a mile long for your head."

"Who's going to risk coming at me?"

"Take your chances, then. But I think that little wallpaper trick? Was an anomaly. If you had your abilities back, this town would be charcoal by now. You're having problems with magic, aren't you? Right now, the only thing keeping you alive? Is that Henry wishes it. Now, this."

"It's the hat that pulled your loved ones away."

"Well, where did you get it?"

"I've long since forgotten. You know what? Maybe, you should be less concerned with hats, and more concerned with taking care of my son."

"Oh, because you took such great care of him."

"I will not listen to childcare lectures from a man who put his daughter in a box and shipped her to Maine."