Chapter Eighteen: A Test run (part one)

Alright I hit publish and I'm hoping it works. Wattpad has been super weird lately but it's fine. If this is working, then a short authors note.

This chapter is actually pretty short. The next chapter will be up tomorrow (Should wattpad decide to work). I would put today's and tomorrows into one chapter, but I feel it kind of flows better this way. Plus I like the cliffhanger hehe. 

Anyway back to the story!!

(P.S.- Check out my new story, "A Siren's Song". It'll be up and published in about ten minutes so go check it out.)

Previously, on "A New Home" ...

" I was there. His uncle had asked me for a picture literally seconds before it happened. I can almost guarantee it was to show his sweet little nephew back home." He's crying now, but makes no effort to wipe the tears away. "And I took that from Peter. From an innocent young kid, who has seen more than his fair share of heartbreak in this life. I killed him, Pepper. I killed Ben Parker."

What's heard next is the voice of a heart broken Peter Parker, standing in the doorway with tears in his eyes.

"You did what?"

"Kid..." Tony starts.

"You killed him?"

"You have to let me explain."

"It's a simple question, Mr. Stark." When Tony gives no answer, Peter turns on his heel and storms out. Tears sting his eyes as he tries to keep them from falling.

His Dad killed Ben? It's not possible. But Tony had said so himself- Peter heard him. It would explain why Tony had been so cold to him for the past two weeks. If Tony was responsible for Ben's death, the guilt would be crushing. Despite the new found information, Peter knew Tony well enough to know he felt guilt.

Did he even know Tony as well as he'd thought? Tony's words still ring on a loop in Peter's mind.

"I killed him, Pepper. I killed Ben Parker."

After all he'd been through, Peter was sure he knew what heartbreak felt like. He was sure that surely after all this pain, nothing could hurt him again. But time and time again, his hopeful thoughts were proven wrong.

He slams his bedroom door closed behind him, so hard he hears the sound of wood splitting. He'd broken something but didn't bother to look and check the damage. Pacing from one end of the room to the other.

It just didn't make any sense. Peter was told that Ben was killed in action, and he'd believed it. But now, Mr. Stark is saying that he's responsible for the death of Ben Parker. Which was true?

He presses the heel of his hand against his eyes in an attempt to dull the pain behind them. The entire disaster was making his head hurt. He was confused about what was true and what was a lie. He could still hear the overlapping voices of his newfound family downstairs, and even at this distance (thanks to his enhanced senses) it was overwhelming.

What do I do what do I do what do I do... Peter repeats this over and over in his mind. At this point pacing isn't enough. He marches across the room only to stop at a wall, and wish he could just keep walking. Walk far away from the memories, the hurt, the overwhelming noise and confusion. He feels stuck. Confined. Almost like he's suffocating. Tears have fallen freely at this point- there's no reason to stop them really.

His eyes drift to the window, and suddenly he gets an idea. He races to his closet and moves his clothes to the side, to reveal a suit of red and blue tucked away behind boxes he'd yet to unpack. It was roughly sewn, a simple red hoodie with the sleeves cut out, made to be worn over a simple pale blue sweatshirt and jogging pants. A simple pair of red converse. A mask, with sensory goggles made from bits and pieces of material he'd brought up from the lab a while ago.

"Peter? Please open the door." It's Pepper.

"Come on, kid. Can we talk?" And that was Tony.

Peter grabs the suit and changes quickly. He doesn't know much about fashion- in fact he knows nothing about it. But his efforts were his best, and they would have to do for now.

"Peter let us in." Friday says something, but Peter doesn't hear her. But whatever it was sends Tony and Pepper into a panic. The door knob shakes as they make attempts to get it open.

Peter moves to his desk. In the bottom drawer, hidden beneath his old physics assignments, was a pair of home made web shooters. Honestly he had no idea how well they'd work, but he was about to find out.

There were more voices on the other side of his door now. He could hear the worried voices of Steve and Natasha, their voices being overpowered by Tony now banging on the door.

He attaches them to his wrist as he stands on the window sill. He pulls the mask over his head.

Maybe this is a bad idea. What if I'm not ready....

That's the logical part of Peter's mind talking. But at this moment, he doesn't care for logic. The door slams open, but he doesn't notice. Because in that exact moment, fueled by nothing but emotion, Peter steps off the ledge, and falls.