Chapter Eight: Moving On

Okay so this isn't my best chapter, but I'm working through writer's block so have mercy. Here it is.

Also, awkward spacing because wattpad is being weird. But oh well.

________

Peter rushes out of his room, backpack slung over his shoulder. He had managed to oversleep, a habit he really needed to break, and missed the bus this morning. So now, he was more than likely going to be late.

“Bye Mr. Stark!” The teen waves a quick goodbye and moves toward the elevator.

“What’s the rush kid?” Tony asks, sipping his coffee.

“I overslept and missed the bus so I have to go before I’m late.¨ Tony sees this as the perfect opportunity to spend a bit more time with his son. So grabbing his keys, he walks over to the kid.

“I’ll give you a ride.”

“Mr. Stark, you really don’t have to worry about it.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. We wouldn’t want you to be late now would we? Let’s go. You can pick the car.” Peter just gives the man a confused look before following him out to the garage.

The teen stops dead in his tracks when they reach the garage, seeing the countless sports cars and high tech vehicles that take up the space. The last thing Peter wanted was to show up at school in a fancy car. It just wasn’t his style so to speak.

Tony seems to read his thoughts as he leads Peter to a silver Honda civic parked on the other end of the garage.

“I had a feeling you might like this more than the racecar.” Peter’s jaw drops as he hears this.

“You own a race car?!” Tony laughs and gives the kid a smile.

“Let’s go, before you actually are late.”
----

They are about halfway to the school when Peter politely asks to turn on the radio. Tony isn’t sure if that kid even had the capability of being rude. He couldn’t even look at anyone in a malice way. It was just impossible. It’s that day, however, that Tony sees a look of pure disgust in his eyes.

The song Old Town Road was playing on the radio, and the country boy looked horrified. Peter immediately changed the radio station, a look of hate in his eyes.

“I know you said Country music wasn’t your favorite, but you hate it that much?” Tony asks with a laugh.

“That was not country music, Mr. Stark.”

“Oh really? How so?”

“That was a disgrace to country music George Straight, Johnny Cash, Randy Travis, and endless list of great country musicians. But whatever that was, wasn’t country music.” Tony smirks as he pulls into the school’s parking lot.

“Well I’d hate to have seen your reaction when you found out they put Justin Beiber on country radio.”

“They WHAT?!” Tony doesn’t answer the question, any response he would’ve come up with cut short by the warning bell.

“You better get to class kid. Can’t have you being late.” Peter sends a half-hearted glare before climbing out of the car and running toward the front doors. The conversation was far from over. He immediately runs to his locker, where Ned Leeds is already waiting.

“You’re late. Good thing though, Flash already made his rounds. He doesn’t know you’re here.” Peter sighs in relief as he struggles with his backpack, the heavy textbooks weighing him down.

The two barely make it to their classroom before the bell rings, trying to ignore the glares from their teacher as they take their seats. The teacher takes a moment and waits for the class to settle down before she speaks.

“Good morning students. So to start off today, I have an announcement to make. We will be taking a field trip.”

Peter sits up straighter in his seat, now giving the teacher his full attention. He always loved field trips, but a gut feeling told him this was going to be a little different.

“We will be taking a trip to Oscorp! This is the school of Science and Technology after all, so a tour of the second most influencial science corporation seems
perfect.”

Peter’s stomach turns as he thinks about the trip. He knows Oscorp is the Rival of Stark industries, so getting Mr. Stark to sign the permission slip may be difficult. The kid honestly wouldn’t mind staying home and skipping the trip, but he couldn’t do that to Ned.

“What’s the matter Parker?” Peter looks up to see Flash sending him a hateful
glare. “You sure you can handle the trip? Of course not, you’re too dumb. Just a dumb, redneck hick.”

“Just because I talk slow don’t mean I’m stupid.” Peter replies, his face turning
red. With anger or embarrassment, he wasn’t sure which. The downside of that, his emotions caused his accent to be more prominent than ever.

The class let’s out a series of giggles at the country boy in the back of the class. He sinks down in his chair, hiding his face behind his text book.

“Don’t listen to them Peter.” Ned tells him. Peter gives his friend a smile.

“Thanks Ned. You wanna come over after school? We can watch Star Wars.” Peter asks hopefully.

“Yeah sure. I just got a new Lego set we can work on.” Peter can’t help but smile. He doesn’t care what Flash says. Things are going to go great today. He sends a quick text to Tony, asking if he could have a friend over after school.

The reply is almost instant.

Yeah of course. Pepper’s cooking tonight so you can ask if your friend can stay for dinner.

“You can just ride home with me this afternoon, if that’s okay?” Ned nods, a
smile on his face. Peter can’t help but think about things for a moment. It’s been six months.

Six months since he moved in with Tony. And with each day that passed, he couldn’t help but relax a little more. It may not be Texas, but maybe, just maybe, this place could be home too.

--------

“Tony.” A patriotic voice rings across the conference table.The billionaire had been in a meeting when he had recieved a text from Peter, saying that he would be having a friend over later that afternoon.

He reads Peter’s text over and over again, a small smile in his lips.

Peter: Hey, I was wondering if I could bring a friend over? He could ride
home with me and Happy…

It wasn’t just the fact that Peter was coming out of his shell that was making the man smile. It’s the word Peter used, no doubt by accident. He had said the word Home. For the first time in six months, Peter had referred to the tower as his home.

“Tony!” The man looks up to see Steve Rogers giving him the eyebrows of
dissappointment. “Care to tell us what is so important that you’re ignoring most of this meeting?”

“Actually Rogers I’m not telling you a thing. Nothing that you don’t need to
know.” Steve looks as if he’s about to say something else, but Tony stops him.

“We’re here to discuss one thing. I want the Avengers to be a team. Teams should be close. So I had the idea that you all…”

Tony pauses, uncertainty flooding him. Peter was just now getting used to the
tower being his home. Introducing him to the entire team might be a bit much. But surely he could keep them seperated for at least a little while. Right?

“Tony, your idea.” Rhodey reminds him. Tony takes a deep breath. This could
possibly be the worst idea he’s ever had, but he’s gonna go with it. Before he can regret it he says-

“I think you guys should move into to the tower.”

<><><><><><><>

And there you have it. A quick public service announcement, the Corona Virus. All I can say is make sure you wash your hands. If you feel sick, stay home to prevent other people from getting sick. Stay safe and be careful.

I larb you all my amazing arachnids,

Nat