Chapter Fourteen: We'll Figure It Out

Now in the medbay, Peter sits anxiously on the bed. This is the first time he's been here. It's honestly just like a hospital; just a lot nicer. He tries to distract himself by looking at the fancy tech and details of the room, but he can't help but wince as Dr. Banner sticks the needle in his arm.

He's always hated needles.

"Sorry, Peter. I know this isn't fun." Bruce begins the process of drawing blood, doing his best to keep the boy distracted. "So, you're Tony's kid."

"Yessir." silence, then "Dr. Banner, sir?"

"Hm?"

"What's wrong with me?" Bruce finishes the bloodwork, and after sending the blood to be tested, sits down next to Peter.

"That, I don't know. But we're going to figure it out."

Peter nods.

"Would you... I mean, is it alright if Mr. Stark comes back in?" They'd made Tony leave after he nearly had a panic attack when it all happened. Natasha had to calm him down, while Rhodes went to find Pepper and tell her what was going on. Bruce had led Peter to the medbay, and now here they are.

Bruce nods: "Let me go see if he's calmed down any, and I'll send him in."

"Thank you Dr. Banner, sir."

Bruce only has to step into the waiting room for Tony to appear. He's at Bruce's side in a second.

"He's okay, right? You've figured it out? He's gonna be alright, right?"

"Tony, he's asking for you. But if you don't stay calm I can't let you in. Can you do that?"

After taking a deep breath, the man nods and follows Banner back into the medbay. And to say he's relieved when he sees Peter is an understatement. The kid looks okay. Still scared, but not as freaked out as before.

"Hey Mr. Stark..."

"Hey kiddo." Tony answers, hopping up on the examining table to sit next to Peter. "How're you feeling?"

"Alright I reckon. Everything feels kinda... overwhelming."

"I'd say so after the day you've had."

"Nah, this is different. Everything's... sharper?" It's only now that Tony notices, Peter isn't wearing his glasses. They sit over on a table a few feet away. "Like I can see everything now. It's like everything's been cranked up too eleven."

Tony looks over to Bruce, who just shakes his head.

"I can't figure it out, Tony. I took some tests, so hopefully the results will give some insight."

A moment of silence, in which Tony sees Peter continously scratching at his wrist. It looks red, and to be honest pretty painful.

"Kid, what's that?" Tony asks, taking Peter's arm and looking at the wound.

"... A spider bite..."

That's when Peter begins the story. He gives a summary, the field trip, running from Flash, the room full of spiders, the display case, even the nice scientist who let Peter go.

"Oscorp? They're responsible for this?"

"Mr. Stark it was an accident. If anything it was my fault."

"You sure? Just say the word and I can hit Oscorp with a law suit. They shouldn't have things that dangerous available to the public anyway. The door wasn't even locked?? That doesn't seem safe-"

"Mr. Stark, it's okay."

Tony nods, and is about to respond when someone knocks on the door. Whoever it is doesn't wait for an answer, and soon after Steve Rogers himself stands in front of them. He gives Peter a polite nod, then turns to Tony.