Chapters Ten: Talking About It

Unedited, and honestly not that great. But I like it. Feel free to comment if you see any mistakes.

Later that night Tony paces back and forth across his work shop, his mind on edge. The Avengers would be coming to the tower in three days. That's three days to figure out a way to tell Peter, figure out a way to explain Peter to the team, and he was doing all of this without Pepper's assistance. She had left for a meeting just a few hours ago, and wouldn't be back for the next few days.

"Mr. Stark?" A tired voice sounds from the doorway, pulling Tony from his trance. He turns to find Peter standing there in his pajamas, rubbing his eyes like a sleepy toddler. His curls are in complete disarray, his glasses slightly crooked as he scans the room, confused and tired.

"Hey, kid. What are you doing up? It's nearly three in the morning?"

"I... uh, I had a nightmare. I checked your room and you weren't there, so I asked Ms. Friday and she said you were down here. I can go, it's just that..." The kid hesitates, his brown doe eyes shining with unshed tears.

"You just what?"

"I just didn't wanna be alone." The teen looks to the floor, avoiding eye contact. His southern accent was stronger than usual, a tell-tale sign that he was upset. Peter's accent was always more prominent when something was bothering him, something Tony had figured out in the time he'd been here.

"Well, I was actually just about to head back upstairs. We can watch a movie, eat some snacks. Whatever you want." Peter nods silently and Tony stands to his feet, the duo making their way to the living room. The teen moves to the couch, grabbing a blanket and wrapping it tightly around him. "Okay kid, I'm just gonna go grab some snacks-"

"Please stay." Peter's voice is so quiet that Tony almost missed it. Stark sits on the other end of the couch. "I think... I wanna talk about it."

"Okay kid." Tony answers softly. The teen seems hesitant, so Tony doesn't say anything else; instead sitting patiently, knowing the kid will speak when he's ready.

"I was back in Texas, only everything was different. Nothin' felt like home anymore. My momma wasn't there, and all my friends were gone. And for some reason, I couldn't shake the feelin' that it was all my fault. Like... no one wanted me anymore." Peter looks over at Tony, tears in his eyes. "You were there though."

"Me?" Anthony asks, confused. Peter nods, wiping away the tears that had begun to fall.

"Y-Yeah. You and Ms. Potts. Y'all had decided you didn't want me, a-and you took me back. And as much as I missed the way things used to be, I didn't want to go back. There was nothin' left for me. My momma's gone, my friends'll forget me eventually. Y'all are all I got left; and I don't know what I'd do if you left me too..."

The kid is sobbing at this point and Tony doesn't hesitate before scooting closer, wrapping an arm around the distraught teen.

"Kid, I need you to listen to me. I am never leaving you, okay? You're stuck with me. Pepper would tell you the same thing; We want you safe, we want you happy, and we want you here with us."

And we love you. Tony adds mentally. He couldn't say it out loud; he wasn't sure how Peter would react. He hasn't even known the kid a full year. He would have to discuss it with Pepper when she got home, and maybe she could help him figure it all out.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark." Peter replies quietly, clinging to Tony. Odds are the kid doesn't even realize he's doing it.

"No problem." Stark runs a hand through t
Peter's dark curls, having found that it comforts the boy. His mom must have done that a lot. "Now, how about a movie?"

When he gets no response, he looks down to see that the kid has fallen asleep. Tony carefully lifts the kid from the couch and carries him to the Star Wars themed bedroom. After putting him to bed he gently removes Peter's glasses, placing them on the bedside table. He makes sure to leave the lamp on, knowing Peter hates the dark, before heading to his own room.

He can worry about everything tomorrow; he can't make any decisions without Peter's approval anyway. Instead he goes to bed, asleep before his head hits the pillow.

<

><><><><><><><><>

Peter wakes the next morning, feeling slightly disoriented. He remembers his conversation with Mr. Stark, he remembers crying, and he remembers falling asleep. What he doesn't remember is how he managed to get back to his room. Tony must've carried him to bed... again. Peter just shrugs it off before putting on his glasses and moving toward the kitchen.

"Ms. Friday?"

"Yes, Peter?"

"Is Mr. Stark awake yet?"

"Boss is still sleeping. Would you like me to wake him?"

"No, Ms. Friday. That's okay." Peter opens the cabinets and grabs a box of cereal for breakfast. More specifically, Captain Crunch. Every since Tony had found out it was Peter's favorite, he always made sure to keep some in stock. The box literally had Peter's name written on it in marker, meaning it was off limits to everyone but him.

After making his breakfast he goes to the living room, getting comfortable on the sofa and choosing a movie. The beginning theme of Ghostbusters plays quietly, and the movies over halfway through when Tony finally wakes up. The man enters the living room, a hot cup of coffee in his hands.

Peter pauses the movie, turning his attention to Stark.

"Mornin' Mr. Stark."

"Hey kid. Don't you have school today?" Tony asks, still half asleep.

"It's Saturday, Mr. Stark." Peter replies, picking up empty cereal bowl and carrying it to the kitchen sink. After washing his dishes and cleaning up his mess, he moves back to the living room.

"Oh yeah..."

"Is everything okay, sir?"

"Yeah. Everything's fine. I just-" Tony gives a nervous sigh. "Might as well get it over with. Kid, the Avengers will be moving into the tower. They'll each have their own floor, and shouldn't bother you too much. But I just wanted to make sure you were okay with it."

Peter freezes. The Avengers? As in the team of superheroes that saved New York? He isn't entirely sure he's ready, but the hopefull look Mr. Stark is giving him makes his decision easy.

"Mr. Stark, these are your friends. Your family. If you want them here, they should be here."

"You don't have to meet them right away." Tony assures him, sensing the boy's hesitation. "We can wait for that. I know your still adjusting to things here, and I don't want to overwhelm you."

"I wouldn't mind meeting them." Peter replies with a smile. "When are they gonna be here?"

"Monday morning, after you leave for school. I can introduce you all once you get home." Peter just nods, when suddenly it hits him. His field trip to Oscorp is on Monday, and he still hasn't gotten his permission slip signed. To be honest, he had completely forgotten about it.

"Speaking of Monday, my class is takin' a field trip and I kinda need you to sign the permission form..."

"Field trip, huh? Where are you guys going?" Tony asks, propping his feet up on the coffee table as he gets comfortable.

"Oscorp..." Peter mumbles. Tony tenses up slightly, and though he tries to hide it,

Peter notices. "I don't have to go, but Ned told me he didn't wanna go by himself-"

"Then you're going. I'll sign the slip and you'll go on the trip."

"So you're not upset?"

"No Bambi, I'm not upset." Peter sighs in relief and takes the remote, and the movie continues playing.

"Thank you, Mr. Stark."

"Anything for you, Kid."

Next chapter is in the making.

I larb you all my amazing arachnids,

Nat