Concealed Pleasures (Soulmates)

Little smutty this one 😍

Tension in the living room was thick. The  atmosphere was rigid like mountain air, the oxygen thin and stuffy compounds quick to replace it. The residents of the high up apartment were silent, sat together on the sofas and chairs littered across the room. The apartment wasn't designed to fit six people, functioning best when there were only four to crowd it's space. As a result it always meant that a couple would have to sit at the breakfast bar or the snug rug squares on the floor when they all communed like this.

It was often Dream and Abi who took position at the breakfast bar, neither of them minding about missing out on a sofa. Otherwise Killer and Outer would occasionally take the snug rugs on the floor. The initial scenario is how the seating arrangements played out today, Nightmare and Cross on one sofa together looking at the Monochrome's phone as he showed the darker pictures of America for the twelve-dozenth time. They were looking to extend Cross' visa to stay in England for longer. Outer sat slumped against Killer, his head lazily taking residence in his lap as the other rubbed it in slow and careless circles, gaze having no time for him as he looked at the man sat at the kitchen island.

Dream met the skeleton's gaze without a word, his fingers scraping across the marble countertop slowly as he kept his expression blank. It had been two weeks since their moment on the balcony; since Killer had laid down his cards, since he'd kissed him against the cold of the night, hands on him as if they were always meant to be. But they weren't. Their conversations since had been sparse and quick, just muttered flirty comments from Killer and hissed silences from Dream. Occasionally when they passed each other in the hallway or living room Killer would stretch out, fingers barely brushing the other's hip with his fingers before he disappeared round the corner to leave the other's emotions colliding with no filter. They hadn't shared another moment like that night.

Eye flicking from his brother to the grey skeleton Nightmare frowned, tentacles twitching and fidgeting beneath the hands that lazily stroked them now, Cross' gaze elsewhere. The room felt as if it had been left in turmoil after a great argument, as if Killer had revealed he'd murdered Dream's mother, or the golden skeleton had told the other that he was finally being kicked out of the apartment (it was high time he was - he didn't pay full rent and still didn't have a job). Staring at them now, he wondered what had really happened - the two of them had been like this for just over a week now. Perhaps he'd ask about it later.

Sat on the comfortable sofa Killer drummed his fingers on Outer's shoulder, feeling the usual pressing desire for a cigarette claw at the back of his throat with a persistent itch. It was ignored for now, resisting the urge as he watched Dream and waited for the skeleton to make eye contact. He didn't, avoiding him now to look at the kitchen surface beneath his hands before across at Abi as she combed her hair with her fingers, lazily braiding it. His gaze didn't seem to be overly affectionate, instead baring the look of a man who was in deep turmoil over a burning question that plagued his mind permanently. He hoped to God that he was the topic knocking around in that skull of his.

After a minute it was clear that the guardian had decided it was the appropriate action to look at every thing possible except Killer. This therefore included the sofa, the floor, Outer, even Killer's feet. But he didn't look properly at him no matter how long he waited or how hard he tried to shove the message of 'look at me idiot' into his mind. 

Eventually it dawned on him that a more direct method would be necessary to attract the attention of the stubborn skeleton. Clearing his throat sharply he looked down at Outer for a moment to brush his hand across his skull in a soft mannerism. "I'm going outside for a smoke, okay?"

His partner nodded lazily and shifted off of him, rubbing his eyes with a yawn. "Mh, okay. Take your time, but bring your coat - it looks like it might rain."