Viper's Bite

Okay so the OG readers of mine that came here from my Crossmare oneshot book might remember an unrefined draft I posted years ago about a shot based on One Punch Man. If you don't then the plot is easy to follow.

Basically all you need to know is that Dream is a well known hero, and Cross is his apprentice in training. During a battle, Nightmare (big evil villain) sends his minions (murder trio) to kidnap Cross as he has plans for him.

This little shot is the aftermath of Cross being captured, and Dream questioning his (least) favourite villain about his whereabouts

😋

"Where's cross?"

"Who's cross?" The villain before him giggled, a manic sound that bounced across the tall walls of brick that surrounded them. The sound was cut short by a cruel grip to the throat, his skull cracking against rough brick.

"I'm not in the mood to play games with you, Villain." Dream scoffed, mouth to twisted into a low frown as he regarded the man in front of him. "Answer my question, I know you can."

The air was stagnant around them, breaths coming out in a foggy puff. It was cold, enough so that Dream could feel the slight breeze biting at his bones through the fabric of his leather gloves.

"I really don't know who you're talking about."  His voice was sly, a lie graced by a smile with lips curled back to reveal sharp, white teeth with canines so pronounced that it likened him to a reptile. That's how he'd earned his villain name. The Viper.

He was an assassin, Nightmare's second in command. He was responsible for the deaths of many - heroes and civilians alike. He could lie in wait for days waiting for a target. By the time said victim realised he was there, they were as good as dead.

"My apprentice, Viper. Where is my apprentice." His fingers readjusted around the man's neck, relishing in the way he felt his pulse flutter. He could see in his eyes that he knew what he was asking for. Unfortunately, that didn't mean that the other would make it any easier for him. He had a bad habit of making Dream squeeze information out of him like an unripe lime - so much effort, so little result.

"Whhat abouut a.. trade?" His grey pupils shone silver for a moment, flicking over him greedily. "Information for information."

Dream sneered down at him. He was used to this ploy. Being Nightmare's second in command had requirements. Providing valuable information on the hero society would earn him a gold star. He could assume that his status as Nightmare's right hand man wasn't spoon fed to him. It was a position that would be constantly fought for. Other villains were probably nipping hungrily at his ankles, hoping he'd fall from his prime spot.

"It will be worth your while!" The Viper's babbling cut through his line of thought, irking him. "And the information I ask for in return is reeaally minor, ssososo small."

Staring down at him, Dream decided to give the boy a chance. "Tell me where Cross is first, then I'll answer your question."

"Nonono, it doesn't work like that." His head shook so violently that it looked like it would snap off of his spindly neck. "I ask first."

"Do you think I'm stupid?" His grip on the man's neck tightened, and he wheezed pathetically beneath the force of his hand. His powers allowed for inhumane strength as well as other perks. If he wanted to, he could snap the other's neck beneath his fingers like a twig. It was a tempting thought.

"No-! Lissten- assassins promise-!"

His arm raised, creeping up in the corner of Dream's vision. The hand was softly caught, crushed against the wall above his skull. The villain was often quick with his hands, able to produce weapons seemingly from mid air. He fought with blades dipped in viper's poison. One cut from his blade resulted in deadly sickness, or worse, death. He'd seen coworkers, colleges tainted by his blade. But he found the man's hand empty, no blade clutched between his fingers.