Cicada and Rugorim

Murbol watched wide-eyed as Cicada maneuvered around the table so eloquently. Even though she was only serving tea, she flowed like a calm river and Murbol couldn't take her eyes off her. She poured Katharine a cup of tea then Yrilssa.

She added four lumps of sugar to Yrilssa's tea and a little dab of honey to Katharine's. After she had served the tea she took a few steps back from the table and just stood there. With her hands folded in front of her.

Her back was straight and her head high. Murbol took a few steps back from the table just as Cicada had done. She folded her hands in front of her and straightened her back. She soon learned that it was easier to slouch.

          Yrilssa fixed her vacant gaze on Katharine, she smiled pretending to be interested.

"I never expected to meet my love that day.
I was just out for an afternoon walk when we literally bumped into each other," she giggled.

"He was so handsome and quite dashing," Katharine blushed. "He was just there and our eyes met and before I knew it we were in love and planning for a wedding,"

"Wow Katharine, that's so boring and unoriginal,"

"Not every love story can be a romantic romance novel, Yrilssa. Sometimes love comes with just a wave of a hand or a simple hello how are you,"

"But romance should be exciting and exhilarating,"

"If you say so," Katharine said.

"So is your family really okay with you marrying a human?"

Katharine's wide smile slowly faded, and her eyes scanned her empty teacup. 

          Murbol looked down at Katharine's empty cup then up at Cicada. Cicada smiled and pretended to pour a cup of tea. Murbol's face lit up. She grabbed the teapot and poured Katharine another cup of tea. She did it just like Cicada had shown her, but this time she didn't burn anyone.

Feeling proud of herself Murbol glanced up at Cicada. Cicada smiled and nodded her head in approval.

          "How did you know he was a human?" Katharine asked.

"Yesterday you said he had business to attend to in Cileria. So I just assumed he was human."

"Oh yes, I did say that didn't I,"

"Yes you did," Yrilssa sipped her tea.

She took a long slow sip, then stared into her cup.

"Are you sure about marrying a human? Your children will be half breeds and they will never be able to hold any positions of power; they won't even be seen as nobles. Are you okay with that?"

"Would you prefer I marry an orc?" Katharine asked.

"No, don't be ridiculous," Yrilssa snickered. "But a human, you'll lose everything. Your children will have nothing. Katharine, you can't be okay with that."

"Yrilssa, that doesn't matter when you're in love," she smiled.

"But it does," Yrilssa insisted.

"Yrilssa you only feel that way because you're not of noble birth,"

          The orcs' ears perked up, she didn't understand the human concept of nobility but when Yrilssa's eyes narrowed into a fixed stare and she uncomfortably adjusted in her seat. Murbol knew Katharine's words were meant as an insult that Yrilssa didn't take too well.

"Names, titles, positions of power none of that will matter after the wedding we're moving to Cileria,"

"And what of your family. Do you care about their fates? The noble houses of Selse Lenora will-"