Rugorim and Cicada

Cicada rolled over and reached out for Rugorim and let out a loud sigh when she didn't feel him next to her. Of course, he wasn't there. It was already morning and he was gone.

His scent had begun to fill the room again and Cicada was glad of that. But truthfully she just wanted to open her eyes every morning and see him there next to her. But Cicada knew that would never happen, and she could only dream about it.

           She glanced at the window, he'll be back tonight, she told herself as a wide grin spread across her face. She couldn't wait, just the thought of seeing him again made her heart flutter.

She rolled around in bed tucking herself tight under the blankets imagining she was still laying in Rugorim's arms. But that only lasted for a moment before she pushed the blankets off her. It wasn't the same, the only thing that felt like Rugorim's arms were Rugorim's arms.

She didn't want to wait, so she wouldn't,  she would go to him. She jumped from bed with the thought of seeing him running through her mind.

She rushed to her wardrobe giggling like a love-struck adolescent wondering what to wear. When her eyes gazed at the perfect dress there was a knock at her bedroom door before Yrilssa came barging in.

"Cicada!"

"Good morning my-"

"You know I find it ironic that you're supposed to be my lady in waiting, but yet I'm always having to wait on you. What keeps you from waking at the proper hour, Cicada?" she said, scanning the room. "I wonder,"

"I'm sorry!" Cicada replied, stepping in front of Yrlissa blocking her view.

"I'll do better,"

The last thing Cicada needed right now was for Yrlissa to find any evidence of Lord Rugorim spending the night in her room. She would never hear the end of it, and if something like that got back to her father. Well, Cicada didn't even want to think about what would happen then. Things with Lord Rugorim were finally in a good place and there was no telling how long that would last and Cicada wanted to enjoy every second of it.

"Anyway," Yrlissa added. "We're going to visit Katharine today so-"

"Do I have to," Cicada blurted out before she realized it.

Yrlissa's lips tightened and her eyes narrowed.

"You do what I tell you to do," Yrlissa hissed, poking Cicada in her chest.  "You're the slave and I am the master and you will obey. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, my lady I understand."

"Good! you better not forget your place again or I will have you sent back to Selse Lenora and you will never see your precious beast again. Do I make myself clear Cicada?"

"Yes, my lady,"

"Good, then, get dressed, I'll be waiting downstairs."

"Yes my lady"

          The door slammed and Yrlissa was gone, but her words were not and they cut to the very core of Cicada, the thought of never being able to see Lord Rugorim made her heartache. And Yrilssa is cold-hearted enough to take Cicada away from Rugorim, she hated that orc so much. But Cicada's heart couldn't bear such a thing

Shaking throughout her body she fell on her face, forehead to the hardwood floor, grabbed her chest, and sobbed uncontrollably. This time the pain was all too real and it hurt.

           After a few minutes, Cicada managed to pull herself together enough to get dressed. Before leaving her room she took a deep breath and forced herself to stop her tears. She wouldn't give Yrilssa the satisfaction of seeing her cry. But when Cicada came walking downstairs, eyes red and puffy, Yrilssa couldn't help but smile to herself.