Father Blackwood

We sat down in two chairs Aunt Hilda brought up for us

We sat down in two chairs Aunt Hilda brought up for us. I looked back over at Father Blackwood, saw him biting his pinky finger and looking at both of us, weirdly. He sat up straight again, with his cane and took his finger out of his mouth, "Now...your aunties tell me you two have questions, about your baptism and such." He said calmly. "I do. We, do."  I said. "But I'm not sure where to begin, really," I said nervously. "Allow me." He said smiling. "A witch's dark baptism is our most sacred unholy sacrament. We've been performing them for centuries." He said looking to Zelda and Hilda. 

"Our Dark Lord's book, the Book of the Beast, is the most ancient tome of existence." He continued. "About that," I said. "If we sign our name in the Book of the Beast, does that mean we're giving the Dark Lord damnation over my soul?" I asked curiously. "That's one interpretation, but it's largely a symbolic gesture, as rituals in most religions are." He replied. "What else?" "Let's say, we do sign our names in his book. Doesn't that mean he can call on me or her? To do his bidding?" Sabrina asked gesturing to both of us. "All religions demand some sacrifice. But signing your name is more like...a pledge, let's say." He said moving his hands to make it sounds simpler. 

"That you'll abide by his commandments. Do you two know your Thirteen Commandments?" He asked narrowing in on us. "We've taught them to the girls," Zelda said cautiously. "They've learned them by heart," Hilda added. Of course, we have, from them being jammed into our heads since we could talk. "We're not evil people, Father," Sabrina said again seriously. They all started laughing except for Ambrose, who wasn't really engaging in the conversation. "I am glad to hear it. Neither am I. Neither are your aunts." He said laughing. 

"But the Devil..." I started with my eyebrows furrowed and they all stopped laughing, and Sabrina lightly elbowed me for saying such a thing. "The Dark Lord, yes?" He corrected seriously. I nodded slowly, "...He is the embodiment of evil." I stated. "Incorrect." He said pointing at me making me jump a bit. "He is the embodiment of free will. Good. Evil. Those words matter to the False God, but the Dark Lord is beyond such things." He said getting creepily excited. "What about hell?" I asked sort of quietly, "I don't wanna go there when I die, we don't." Sabrina said suspiciously. 

"First of all, if you accept the Dark Lord's gifts, you won't die, not for a very long time." He started scooting up in his chair. "Second of all, Hell is for mortals. In exchange for their service and devotion, witches and warlocks are exempt from the eternal flames of damnation. Really, what's needed here is a fundamental shift in thinking." He said calming down a bit. 

"Okay, well, what about my boyfriend? Why do I have to break up with him?" Sabrina questioned. He looked over at her awkwardly, "Your boyfriend, I assume, is mortal?" She nodded. Obviously, why else would she ask? "There is an inherent incompatibility. Should you become a full witch, your human partner would age much faster than you." He said seriously. 

"Our father married a mortal," I stated intensely trying to defend Sabrina. "True, but he was High Priest of the Church of Night and was granted a special dispensation." He said trying to change the subject. "By whom?" Sabrina asked again genuinely curious.