24. Third Wheel

Spencer's POV

There was only one person aside from Y/N that I could speak to openly and without hesitation. And there she was lounging in an armchair, reading.

"Mom," I called out softly, trying not to startle her.

She glanced up from her book. At first, she squinted at me. I was relieved when she finally smiled at me. "Spencer." She held her arms out and beckoned me over, patting the seat beside her. "I didn't know you were coming today."

"I didn't either. I just wanted to see you."

"Well, I'm glad you did." She smiled at me, but she weas analysing me discreetly. "What's bothering you?"

"Huh? Oh... nothing."

"Spencer." My mom's stern voice took over, reminding me of when I was young child.

"I'm just confused, Mom. That's all."

"That doesn't sound like you."

I grimaced in agreement. "Sh... she just..." My head landed in my hands. "Why is this more complicated than the Goldbach's Conjecture?"

My mom's eyes narrowed. "I'm going to stop you right there, Spencer. I know you're a good person. You always have been. Making mistakes is human. How you handle these mistakes is what defines you?"

"Mom..."

"No." She turned away from me to look out the window. "I never told you this but after your father left. I always hoped that we would find our way back to each other. Secretly, I was always happy that he never moved on to anyone, just like I didn't. It would have broken my heart of he had. I can only imagine how that would feel had he broken my trust sooner than that."

I froze. Without a word on my part, my mother had deciphered my indiscretion.

"You have a few options. Tell her and move on without her. Or. Tell her and move on with her. Now listen to me. They are the only two options. I don't want any further discussion about this."

I nodded, to indicated that I understood.

"Don't hurt a gentle soul like hers," She mumbled.

My mom had been taken by Y/N from the moment she first found out about her.

She had called my apartment in a state of panic.

Y/N had arrived at my apartment at exactly the time I invited her, and patiently waited for me to finish my call so that we could leave. As I rifled through my files, my home phone rung, as I juggled everything in hands. I had pressed my phone to my ear using my shoulder.

Y/N watched me curiously. She silently motioned to me, asking if she should answer. I nodded quickly not wanting it to ring it out.

As soon as Y/N answered I could hear my mom's panic from where I was standing across the room.

I ended my call, and rushed over to take over the call. "Mom?"

"Spencer? Who was that?"

"What's wrong mom? Are you okay?" She never called like this.

"A girl. A girl answered."

"Yes mom."

Her inquisition had calmed down her panic. "Right, okay. Well then I'll let you get back to that."

"Wait... mom. Mom?" But all I heard was the dial tone.

I pulled my lips tight as I put the phone down on the stand.

"Is everything alright?" Y/N peered at me anxiously.

"Yeah." I frowned at my phone. "I think so. It was... er my mom. I think she's fine."

Every time I went to see my mom after that, I could tell that she was itching to ask me about Y/N but she never did.

That was until a month later. I had discharged my mom for the day and brought her to her favourite restaurant. She loved reading the poetry etched onto the walls.

I was mid mouthful when she sprung it on me.

"I think I want to go back tonight, instead of tomorrow."

"What?" Her request confused me. She always wanted to stay, even if it was just for one night.

"Yes. I think I'll go back."

"Why?"

"Sleeping in my bed seems like the best thing for me. And besides..."

Her pause made me restless. "besides what?"

"Nothing. Just to give you some space."

"For what?" I scoffed.

She ignored me returning to her dinner.

After a few minutes she spoke up again. "After you drop me off, you should... um... spend some time with your girlfriend."

"My what?" I spluttered through my food. At that time Y/N wasn't really my girlfriend. We were dating but nothing was official.

"How long did you think you could keep it from me Spencer. You never could hide things from me. It all in your eyes. In your smile. In your voice."

She knew I couldn't deny it. I would never intentionally lie to her.

From that moment on she pestered me for every detail she could scrounge out of me.

They day they did end up meeting I felt like their third wheel.

................................................................

Sort of a filler chapter before the action starts up. Sorry for dragging it out a bit. But I need to set up a few storylines to make things that happen later make sense.