67. The Recording Pt 3

The screen was still. I thought it had frozen, but the timer kept ticking and the pool of blood around Y/N's head was growing.

Y/N was unconscious and Bethan was in shock, her hand clasped over her mouth.

"Shit." Bethan slowly knelt down beside Y/N, trying to shake her to wake her. "Y/N? Y/N?" But she got no response. "Shit, shit, shit. What do I do? What do I do?" That's all she kept chanting as she paced back and forth her head in her hands. When she caught sight of Y/n she would mutter her apologises and then withdraw over and over. It was as if she had no idea what had happened but also knew at the same time. Bethan was hyper ventilating as she approached the front door. She stood in front of it for twenty seconds regaining her composure and then she pulled open the door as if nothing had happened and walked down towards the elevator where she was met by Ben.

"Beth?" Ben said in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

Bethan sheepishly looked down at the ground.

Ben's calm faded and his eyes were wide. "What did you do?" He took hold of Bethan. "Look at me. In my eyes." He barked at her. He looked horrified when she finally looked up at him and they locked eyes. "Fuck! What did you do Bethan?"

"I'm sorry," she cried her face crumpling. "I didn't do it on purpose. I promise. I can't remember. All I know is that one minute we were talking and the next she was on the floor and there was blood."

"BETHAN."

"I came to see who she was. I wanted to meet the person that you liked. She let me in because I wanted to see the balcony and I told her came to warn her about the party. I was just trying to tell her to give you a chance. You two would be perfect together." Bethan sounded like a child trying to justify themselves.

"Bethan STOP. I didn't tell you to do that." Ben composed himself. "Go straight home. Get to bed. If anyone asks you about this you say that you just came over here to tell her about the party and the you saw the balcony and then you went home. Got it?"

Bethan nodded.

"I repeat it. I want to hear you say it," Ben demanded.

Bethan timidly recounted the words. If anyone asks, I came to tell Y/N about the party and then I went home."

"Good now go." Ben raced down the hall and straight into Y/N's apartment.

He spent the better part of 5 minutes trying to wake up Y/N. But it was to no avail. "Shit Bethan," he cursed.

He sat beside Y/N cradling her in his arms. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen to you. She doesn't mean it. She can't control it. But I can't let you get her in trouble. She's, my sister. She's just a kid. If you knew her you would do the same thing I'm going to. I'm sorry for what has to happen next Y/N. But it's for the best."

Instantly, Ben put the plan that he had just devised in his head into action. He made sure the cameras caught him leaving the apartment and then took the unmonitored service route back into Y/N's apartment. He emerged from the service cupboard, that's why we didn't see him on the building security cameras and I can assume that he either didn't know about the surveillance inside or he was not concerned about them being decrypted. He dragged Y/N into the service cupboard and then we did not return for close to 20 minutes. When he did return, he began cleaning what he could and to put the cherry on top he sent me the fake message from Y/N before he was satisfied with his work and left.

The crackle of the recording stopped and the screen went blank

What had we just heard?

"It was Bethan?" Rossi frowned. "She's just a kid.:

"It was hard to find. The Kingsley have tried to bury it, but Bethan as record of violent behaviour and is considered at risk of early onset paranoid schizophrenia but the Kingsley's haven't allowed a psychiatrist to give her a proper evaluation." Penelope grimaced.

"So, she's not on meds," Luke shouted out in alarm.

"No, newbie. I told you. She hasn't been officially diagnosed.

Emily cleared her throat. "Let's bring them in. And let's get a rush on that warrant to try and track Ben's personal devices to see if they give a clue to as to where he took Y/N."

Tara patted my back. "We'll find her soon."

"I just hope she's okay," I whispered before excusing myself from the group and rushing to the bathroom. 

Luckily it was empty. I bolted the main door behind me and stood in front of the mirror, hanging my head over the sinks. This was all my fault. I should have been with her. But instead, she was in the clutches of an overprotective sociopath who's trying to cover up his psychopathic sister's actions. I didn't even recognise the man I was looking at in the mirror. He had my face, but what was inside was different and I didn't like it. 

....................................................

Did anyone suspect Bethan? leave in comments