Chapter 25

It's like the missing pieces of the puzzle are finally starting to connect. This is the break we were waiting for. Nash was already on the phone with Jason while I continued skimming through page after page of information but that was after making sure Jade was okay to go back to sleep. 

"Is that Georgia?" I ask as we pull into the precinct. I look at the old woman who's standing in front of the precinct doors, coffee in hand as she looks down at her phone. 

"She probably came to ask about Aurora," Nash says as he parks the car and I reach into the back to grab my bag. 

"She can ask how she's doing but that's just about it," I answer as we get out of the car. "Georgia!" I call out to her.

"Natalia, Nash, good morning to both of you," she says as we walk up to her.

"Good morning Georgia," Nash says to her as he holds the door open for the two of us. 

"You're here to know how Aurora is doing right?" I ask her, there's no need to drag out why she's here, I like to get straight to the point with these types of things. Nash elbows my side, nodding his head that he's going on ahead while I talk with Georgia. 

"Yes, but what happened to you?" she says as she looks at my face and I sigh as I shake my head.

"The woman you're here to see did this to me but honestly it's nothing in comparison to her condition," I tell her as we walk inside. I lead us to one of the empty offices near the front desk, closing the door a bit for privacy. 

"Do you know how serious the charges will be for Aurora? Will it be just a couple of months or a year or two?" she questions.

"I can't say everything that she'll be charged for except for the one that's directly connected to me. She came to my apartment with a gun and almost killed me and even though she wouldn't have done anything to Jade, she could have gotten injured or worse in the crossfire," I tell her and she just closes her eyes as she digests that bit of information.

"What on earth has that woman gotten herself into that she'd try to kill you," she says quietly. "Would I be able to see her?" 

"Not right now, she's still in a holding cell here at the precinct since we're still in the process of questioning her but once she's moved to a provincial prison you should be able to visit her if she agrees to it," I explain and she nods her head when she hears that.

"I hope I'll be able to, this just has to be a misunderstanding, there's no reason for her to go out and attack you like that," she says as she waves her hand flippantly and I have to hold back from blurting out she was instructed to come after me with the promise of a payout.

"We'll just have to see how it plays out," I tell her as I go to open the door. "I have to get going now but we will definitely be meeting soon to talk about the case," I tell her as she walks past me. After today, we definitely need to be talking to forensics.

"Alright, before I forget, how's the girl and her mother doing," she questions as we walk to the front of the precinct.

"Both are doing good and Jade's mom's recovery is going well," I tell her as she smiles.

"Glad to hear that, I'll see you soon Natalia," she says as she walks back outside. I let out a sigh as I turn around and walk to my team's office. It's eight in the morning and I already feel so drained. 

"You finished talking with Georgia?" Jason questions when he sees me walk into the room.

"I did, she believes that there had to be some misunderstanding that she would never do this but pulling a gun on another person, yeah, there's no misunderstanding there," I answer as I sit at my desk. "I didn't want to argue with her so I just kept my answers neutral for her."