Epilogue

My eyes meet Nash's in the crowd, our friends and their families sitting next to him while I listen to the speech that's currently ongoing with other officers sitting next to me. I'm still questioning how I even ended up here, I'm still processing how this all happened. 

《 Flashback

"Do you want to repeat what you just said?" I ask Jason as I stare at him dumbfounded. All of us here at work today were called by Jason to our conference room because he had an important announcement to make. He started off by thanking us for our hard work for the first quarter of the year, we've solved various cases that were affecting the city and was thankful for our work ethic. He then continued to announce that some officers throughout the province were going to be rewarded for exemplary work this year and bravery when it came to dealing with dangerous situations. And now here is my dilemma. 

"You heard me just fine, I nominated you as well as another four officers from different precincts for the award. You're one of the two that was selected," he repeats while I'm still dumbfounded. "I'm the Chief of police for our city so it's obvious that I know everything that's happening in the city. I believe with the situation that we had with the unknown drugs and you being at the forefront of this investigation, you should be recognized for your work. And besides, I'm not part of the final selection anyways so there's no bias in you being chosen."

"But-"

"Just accept it Natalia," a woman says from across the room. "I'm pretty sure you don't know who I am and it's fine considering we've never worked together but I think you deserve it. We read the report of the investigation once it came and I can for sure say that most of us wouldn't have been able to do what you did."

"She's right, the way you handled everything from the beginning to end just goes to show the high standard you set as an officer," Jax adds as he nods his head in agreement with the woman.

"You were pivotal in the investigation Natalia, if it wasn't for you we wouldn't have found out how deep in crimes Felix was in. He would have gotten away again and taken part in something illegal again," Jason adds and when he says that it feels like it's just sealing the deal.

"When is the ceremony then?" I ask him since there's no point in dragging this out.

"June, by that time you'll still be in rehab so you should be in good standing by then," he explains. "With that everyone is dismissed, get back to work." When he says that everyone disperses back to their areas of work, Jax gives me a nod in acknowledgement while Jason pats my shoulder before they walk out of the room. I'm left with Nash sitting next to me while I'm still taking in everything.

"You feel like you don't deserve this don't you," Nash says and my head whips to the side to look at him. 

"Obviously," I say in disbelief. "Everything we did was a team effort, it wasn't just me alone."

"But they were right in what they said, most officers wouldn't have had the mental strength to do what you did not to mention be prepared like that, do you keep a knife in your bra all the time?" he asks as his eyes move downwards to my chest.

"Wouldn't you like to find out," I tease while he rolls his eyes with a smile. 

"I think out of everyone here you deserve it and I'm not just saying that because I'm a bit biased since I'm your boyfriend," he laughs while I smile. Now that the whole case is done and my work has changed to desk duty for now, we've been taking the time to get to know each other more. When we're not busy with work we go on dates, have nights in at home, meet our friends and spend time with Jade who is always checking up on me to make sure I'm okay.