{Chapter 3}

After class, you went over to the purple-haired girl's desk. She noticed, looking up at you. She seemed disinterested. "Hey, uhm, what's your name?" You asked, tilting your head to the side. Her gaze went back to her desk. "Kyoka Jirō." She replied quietly, almost like she was embarrassed to tell you. You smiled softly. "That's a pretty name," You said, trying to seem friendly.

Jirō looked away from you, smiling. That was oddly sweet of you. She wasn't used to kindness like that. "Thanks.." She muttered, keeping her gaze away. You figured she was embarrassed. "Can I sit with you at lunch? I'm still getting to know everyone, so I don't really have anywhere to go." You explained, wanting an excuse to hang out with her.

Jirō thought about it for a moment. "Sure, if you want to." She said, finally returning her gaze to you. There was some strange look in her eyes that you couldn't quite place. You smiled softly. "Really? Thank you!" You did your best to seem nice. You didn't want to ruin your chances of making friends just yet. That would be a bad idea.

After you and Jirō chatted for a bit, you left her alone. You didn't want to bug her. For now, your best option was to try to get some work done. You knew you wouldn't do it at home. You got bored too fast. So, you got started. You looked over what your assignments were, eventually picking one and beginning to work on it.

~

Relief washed over you as the lunch bell rang. You put your stuff into your bag, glad that you didn't have to work anymore. Once everything was put away, you walked over to Jirō's desk. She got up, looking over at you. There was the slightest smile on her face, like she appreciated the company. "Come on, I can show you where I usually sit." She said softly, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

You smiled. "Alright, lead the way." You replied, happy that you hadn't made her uncomfortable or anything. Jirō led you into the cafeteria, towards a table where Momo and Tsu were already sitting. She sat down beside Momo, and you took a seat next to Tsu. You hoped you hadn't made a bad impression on any of them as of yet. 

"(Y/N), it's nice to see you," Momo said kindly, a soft smile forming on her face. You were slightly taken aback. "I- yeah- you too.." You replied awkwardly, looking away. You turned a light shade of pink. Damnit. Why couldn't you just act normal? The three started chatting like usual, and you chipped in every once in a while. Though, you didn't talk much. You felt too awkward to. It was probably for the best, anyways. You probably would've said something stupid.

After a little while, the bell rang. You felt a twinge of dread as you stood up from the table. You didn't want to go to class. This was much more fun. Though, you knew you had to. Skipping class just felt dumb. It wasn't the type of thing you would do, even if you wanted to spite your parents.

You slung your bag over your shoulder and walked to class. It was hard to navigate through the sea of students, but you somehow managed. This school felt surprisingly normal. Well, other than the hero studies classes and such. You'd always thought schools like this were less like schools and more like prisons. It was almost relieving to figure out that you'd been wrong. 

You got to class, sitting down in your assigned seat. Most everyone else was already there, taking out their supplies. You set your bag down and took your things out. The room was filled with quiet chatter as the class waited for the bell to ring. When it did, everyone quieted down and stared at the front of the room. Shortly after, the lesson began.

The time passed much quicker than you expected it to. Class felt like it had lasted only seconds, even though you knew it had been at least an hour. You grabbed your bag, ready to head into your next class. That was, until you bumped into somebody. Or.. it felt like you had bumped into someone. There was no one there. "Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to get in your way." A voice chimed.

So there was someone there. That was when you noticed the floating uniform. Now you felt stupid. "No, it's okay." You smiled softly. "I should've been more careful." You could practically feel the poor girl's embarrassment. "My name is Toru Hagakure! I'm sorry we haven't talked before." Though you couldn't see her, you could tell she was smiling. 

It felt good to at least know more people's names. "Don't worry about it, I barely even know half of the people in this class." You did your best to seem comforting, not wanting to accidentally scare her off or make her feel uncomfortable. You and Hagakure started walking side by side down the hall. She seemed sweet and extroverted. You felt bad about her quirk. It must've been hard to have to be invisible. 

You could only imagine what it would be like. Not being able to be seen, but wanting so desperately to have friends... You couldn't help but sympathize with her, especially since she was so nice. You could tell that she really wanted to be a hero. That she really wanted to help people. 

A pang of guilt washed over you. Here were all of these people, who had to try so hard to get here. Who wanted to be a hero so desperately. Then there was you. Someone who was forced into this. Someone who didn't want to be here. It almost felt wrong. You thought of all the kids who couldn't get in. All of the kids who wouldn't be able to achieve their dream. And here you were, brushing off what would be their golden opportunity.

You tried to brush off the feeling. You were here now, and that was what mattered. Even if you didn't want to be. As long as you were trapped here, you might as well learn what you could. Who knows, it might even be useful to you in the future.

Very useful.