{Chapter 20}

Today would be the day. Today you would escape. You were already so close. Your vines were nearly at the window. After that, you would be free. Ochako was already gone, thankfully. She left early that morning. You weren't sure why, though. Something about important business to take care of. You hadn't been listening. Frankly, you didn't care.

You closed your eyes, taking a deep breath. It was hard to continue. You were starting to feel dizzy. Your throat was dry. You did your best to ignore it. None of that mattered right now. The only thing that mattered was escaping. Escaping this rotten hellhole that you'd been damned to. After that, you would go home and alert the heroes. Or maybe the police. You weren't sure you trusted the heroes to deal with this.

You heard a small sound from the window. Finally, some progress. Now all you had to do was get your vines inside and use them to break the rope. That shouldn't be too hard, since the quality of the rope wasn't very good. You did your best to focus on your quirk. If you thought too much about how you were feeling, you would fail. If you failed, Ochako would find out. You didn't want to think about what would happen if she knew. She was scary when she was angry.

That wasn't what you should be thinking about right now. You needed to focus. This was important. Plus, you were so close. So close to what you'd been waiting for. You weren't sure how long it had been. Maybe days? A week? It couldn't have been more than that. After all, she had barely fed you and you were still alive.

You didn't think Ochako meant to starve you. With all things considered, you figured she was just poor and couldn't afford to feed you. That didn't really matter, though. You'd have a nice warm meal once you got back to your apartment. You liked the sound of that. Honestly, the idea of warmth in general was nice. You missed being comfortable.

The window cracked some more, sending small glass shards down to the ground. You looked up, seeing your vine ever-so-slightly poking through. You smiled. Finally, freedom would be yours. You managed to sit up, putting your back up against the wall to get it closer to the window. You used your vines to snap the ropes holding your wrists.

You rubbed your wrists gently, easing the stinging sensation you felt. Once you were over the slight pain, you untied your ankles and carefully stood up. It felt odd to use your legs after so long of just being on the floor. Now wasn't the time for you to think about how you felt, though. Right now you needed to focus on escape.

You took a moment to collect yourself, walking over to the window. It looked like you were only on the second story. You could use your vine to climb down, if you were careful. This was good. Things were going your way. Things were going right. You felt yourself begin to smile. Things were taking a turn for the better.

Finally, you would be free. You forced the window open, carefully climbing out. You clung desperately to the vine, not yet used to using your legs again. You took this as a chance to get a feel for your surroundings. This was Ochako's house, as you had suspected. But, if it was, then where were her parents? She still lived with them. They should have heard you.

You shook your head, making those thoughts go away. You could think about that later. Right now you had to focus on what was truly important right now. Escape. You got down to the ground, taking a moment to regain your balance. You knew your way home from here. It shouldn't take too long.

If it did, then Ochako would find out you were gone before you were safely home. That wouldn't be good. You made your way down the sidewalk, looking carefully out for the bubbly girl in case she had left school early that day. You felt on-edge, peeking before you turned every corner. You had a feeling of dread deep inside you. Something bad was going to happen.

On your way home, you saw familiar periwinkle hair. Nejire. She would know what to do. She could help you. The feeling of excitement at the thought of being safe overwhelmed you. "Nejire!" You called, your heartbeat picking up. She looked over, lighting up at the sight of you. It seemed like she had missed you.

Nejire rushed over. "(Y/N)! Thank goodness you're safe! Everyone was so worried." She said, gently placing her hands on your shoulders. Safe wasn't the word you would use. You teared up the slightest bit. She noticed. "Woah, hey.. what's wrong? What happened?" She asked softly, looking into your eyes.

You hesitantly met Nejire's gaze, sniffling. "Shh, it's okay. You don't have to tell me right now. Let's get you to the heroes, okay? They'll keep you safe." She said comfortingly, wrapping an arm around your shoulder and beginning to walk you towards U.A. You didn't want to go with the heroes, but you figured Nejire knew what was best. She was a third-year, after all. 

Nejire rubbed your shoulder gently as the two of you walked. At one point, you stumbled, not yet used to walking again. She quickly caught you, looking at you with a concerned gaze. "You really don't look too good... You'll probably pass out before we get to U.A." She noted, looking troubled. You felt bad. You didn't want to inconvenience her.

"Here, how about this? I'll take you to my place, just so you can rest. Then, we'll go to the heroes as soon as you're ready, okay?" Nejire offered gently, her hand still on your shoulder. You liked the idea of being able to rest. You nodded. "Alright. I'll carry you there, okay? Just close your eyes, you need all the rest you can get." She said in a soft tone, carefully picking you up. You leaned into her touch, closing your eyes. Rest sounded nice. 

Nejire walked you to her house, gently placing you on the couch. She smiled softly at your sleeping form, draping a blanket over you. She closed her curtains. She wouldn't want the light waking you. That wouldn't be very nice of her. She picked up her phone, going to Aizawa's contact. She had some very important information for him regarding you.

And it wasn't about your sudden appearance.