{Chapter 10}

You received a lot of concerned messages after you got home that day. It was nice to know that people worried about you. You didn't have the energy to reply to most of the messages, though. So, instead of responding, you just read the messages. You responded to a couple, but it was nothing big or extensive. 

Everything went back to normal when you went to school the next day. It was almost as if your injury had never happened. Almost. There was still the annoying sympathy and concern, but it wasn't as much as yesterday. You supposed you didn't really mind it. It got bothersome after a while, sure, but it was nice to know that people cared.

You spent your lunch with Kouda again. The two of you didn't talk, but you didn't mind that. The silence you shared was nice. It was a pleasant way to escape for a little while. While you were in class you were buzzed with excitement and energy. But, when you were with Kouda, you didn't have to deal with any of that. You could just sit there, content and calm.

Unfortunately, that was always short-lived. As soon as lunch was over, you were back into the chaos. You weren't quite sure what was going on half of the time, but it was fun nonetheless. The day passed by quickly, and before you knew it school was over. Ochako lightly grabbed your arm as you walked out of class. "Hey, wait! We're going out, remember?" She said, catching your attention.

Oh, right. You had forgotten that you agreed to hang out yesterday. You supposed it was better than being trapped in your apartment all day. Ochako had a wide smile on her face. "Come on, everyone else can catch up later." She dragged you with her, taking you out of the building and through the school gates. It was a nice day outside. Not too sunny, but not too cloudy either.

Ochako continued to walk you to a nearby mall. You assumed this was where everyone was going. She finally let go once the two of you got inside. "Here we are!" She said, lifting her arms and gesturing as though this was some fancy rich place. It made you smile. "The girls and I come here all of the time! While we're waiting for them, I can show you some of my favorite places!" She seemed really happy to have you around. You figured that most of the girls didn't have the same interests as her.

Ochako dragged you around a few stores, most of them having to do with generally cutesy things like plushies and various other room decor. You wouldn't lie, it was nice. The dragging wasn't the best, but it was nice to see Ochako so happy. "Oh, and this one is my absolute favorite!" She exclaimed, leading you into yet another store. This one was filled with a variety of different plushies.

The walls were lined with plushies on different shelves. Each one was different. You looked around for a moment, taking the place in. Meanwhile, Ochako ran around and looked at a few of the bigger plushies. She seemed a little sad. You walked over, standing beside her. "Hey, what's wrong?" You asked softly, looking at her upset expression. 

Ochako looked away, off to the side. "It's nothing, really. It's honestly kinda stupid.." She admitted, looking a little embarrassed. You smiled softly. "I'm sure it's not. You can tell me." You replied, trying to seem gentle and comforting. Ochako looked back up at the bigger plushies again. "I've wanted to get one of those for a really long time, but they're always so expensive and I can't save enough money to get one." She explained, nervously looking away again.

You looked at Ochako, then to the plushies. You grabbed one off of the shelf and headed over to the counter. "Wh- (Y/N), what are you doing?!" She asked, quickly running over. You placed the plush down on the counter. "You said you wanted it, right?" You said, turning to look at her. She seemed somewhere between embarrassed and shocked. 

"Well, yeah, but-" Ochako tried to answer. You cut her off before she could finish. "Alright, then I'm getting it." You took out your wallet, looking for your parents' credit card. She tried to stop you. "You don't have to do that." She said quietly. You could tell that she didn't actually want to stop you. "I want to, so don't worry about it. It's what friends do." You paid for the plush, putting the card back into your pocket.

You picked up the plushie, offering it to Ochako. "Here. Consider it a present for being my friend." You smiled. She took the plush happily, hugging onto it. "Thank you, (Y/N)." She said, looking up at you. She probably would've hugged you if she could, but the plush took up most of her arm space.

You got a bag for Ochako to put the plushie in so she wouldn't have to carry it around the whole time. She seemed happier than you'd ever seen her. It was nice. Making your friends happy made you happy. Ochako's phone buzzed from its place in her pocket. She grabbed it, her face lighting up even more once she caught sight of the notification.

Ochako grabbed onto your hand, leading you out of the store. "Come on! Everyone else is here now!" She happily dragged you to the entrance of the mall, where the rest of the girls in your class were. Most of them seemed happy, but you noticed Momo seemed a little upset. Maybe she was sad you started without her? You weren't sure.

"Okay! Where does everyone wanna go first?" Ochako asked. The responses were very mixed, to say the least. Since no one could agree, someone had to think of something. "Why don't we all split up and go to those places first, then meet up after?" You offered, trying to think of a solution. Most everyone seemed to like that idea. They split off into excited groups, buzzing about all sorts of things. You were trying to pick who to go with when someone tapped you on the shoulder. You looked over.

It was Jirō. She was looking down at the floor anxiously. "Hey, uhm.. I was wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the record store with me.." She trailed off. You figured she was embarrassed about it or thought you would laugh at her. You smiled. "Sure! Sounds like fun." You answered. You hadn't gotten to hang out with Jirō much, so it would be a great opportunity. She seemed a little surprised by your answer, but she brushed it off. "Come on, it's this way." She gently took hold of your hand and started to lead you away.

Maybe today wouldn't be so bad after all.