Chapter Twelve: "You Changed."

I wake up, expecting to see Rafe but sadly not seeing him. I sit up quickly, resting my back against the wooden headboard. "Rafe?" I question loudly. "Rafe?" I question again.

I hear Rafe come out of the bathroom. "What." He says, closing the door behind him. "You scared about me not being with you?" He asks teasingly.

I huff and roll my eyes, "Yeah, sure I am."

He walks to me, his hands in his pockets. "Were you really?" He asks again, this time more in that deep, husky, hoarse voice of his.

I look up at him, "N-no." I answer.

*Bang, bang, bang*

We both turn our heads to the door, hearing loud knocking. Then the guard I hit in the face walks in, "Boss wants to have breakfast with the two of you." He states, sounding angry.

I stand up from the bed and follow Rafe out of the door. Rafe turns to me, "Stay close." He whispers. I nod and look down at his hand. He looks like he wants to grab my hand but doesn't do it.

"Oh, hello you two." Mr. Singh smiles, his arms out wide. "Please sit, enjoy the food." He says.

Rafe pulls my chair out and I sit down, giving him a silent, 'thank you'. Rafe makes sure to sit right next to me.

"Looks very good, thank you Mr. Singh." I say with a smile.

Mr. Singh looks at me, "You know what? A beautiful thing like you should call me by my name, please call me Carlos." He smiles.

I nod my head, "Thank you, Carlos." I look at Rafe and he seems pissed, his hands are balled up into fists and he's glaring at Carlos. I was going to say something to Rafe but my stomach growled.

Carlos looked at me and laughed, softly, "Please, enjoy the food." He says.

I gladly grab a plate from the center of the table and grab food, enjoying the tastes. "Mm, this is delicious." I groan. "I don't know how long it's been since I've had a proper meal." I laugh.

"You don't eat this good on a regular basis?" Carlos asks.

I shake my head,"I'm not a very good cook and the only thing my brother is capable of making is bacon and eggs." I sigh, taking another bite of my food, I look at Rafe and he hasn't eaten. I nudged him and nod towards the food, he just shakes his head. I look at him with an intense glare. He sighs, grabs food and puts it on his plate. I smile, satisfied and eat more.

"If you were with me, you would be eating like this everyday." Carlos says.

"Yeah, well she isn't so I guess she has to get use to eating bacon and eggs everyday." Rafe says, clenching his fork so hard I think he bended it a little.

I look at him, a confused look on my face, "Don't be rude." I whisper.

"Oh, no it's alright." Carlos says with a sigh. "Enough of this nonsense, let's talk about something really important." Carlos suggests, "Like the diary and how you two are going to get it?"

"Well-" I started but got cut off by Rafe.

"We're leaving today, we're going to go search for it in a place we know it has to be." Rafe answers, making sure not to say the exact place it's at.

"Are you for certain that it is going to be at this place you're speaking of?" Carlos asks.

"Yes." I answer.

Rafe looks at me, then at my finished plate. "I think it's best if we go right now." Rafe says, standing up, waiting for me.

"You're right, we're already waisting daylight." Carlos says.

Rafe grabs my wrist and leads me out of the dining room.

"Slow down." I whisper, holding onto his hand that is gripping my wrist. "Rafe." I whisper.

He pulls harder and I have to run to catch up with his long strides. We finally make it to our room and he opens the door quickly and shoves me inside. "Ow." I say, rubbing my red wrist. "Why are you always grabbing me so tightly?" I question, sitting on the soft bed.

Rafe sits next to me, his body weight makes me slide down next to him, our thighs touching each other. "Are you sure you know where the diary is, y/n?"

I nod my head.

"Use your words."

"Yes."

Rafe nods his head slowly. "You can't tell your little friends."

"I know."

"Look at me." Rafe orders.

I look at him, "You. Cannot. Tell. Them." Rafe demands, "Do you understand me?"

"Yes." I nod my head.

"Good girl."

I breathe in deeply, our eyes still holding contact. Rafe is the first one to look away, standing up and walking to the window. I sigh and stand up, walking to him. "You changed." I say, honestly.

He doesn't look at me. "How so?"

"Your attitude, your demeanor, you seem more direct, more determined than before, more mature." I answer.

He finally looks at me, "Do you like it?"

I open my mouth, then close it, swallow, my mouth is dry. I open my mouth again, "Maybe."

"Hm." He hums.

"You seem more calm. Before you were always on edge and freaking out, plus you were on drugs." I snap my mouth shut.

Dammit. I always yap, yap, yap. I never know when to stop.

Rafe looks away from me.

"My bad, I'm sorry Rafe." I apologize, feeling bad about bringing up the whole drug thing.

What if he's like thirty days sober and I just ruined it making him think about the drugs and now, maybe he's going to start doing them again all because of my big mouth?

"Don't worry, princess I'm not thinking about doing drugs again." He reassures, looking down at me with that smirk.

I huff, "How did you know I was thinking that?"

He shrugs his shoulders, "I know you."

"You know me? What do you know about me?" I challenge him, crossing my arms over my chest.

He raises his eye brows.

I raise mine.

He scoffs and turns his body fully facing mine. "You're favorite color is black, you don't have a favorite animal because you feel bad for all the other animals, your favorite food is Sopa, you love to watch the sun go down and watch the stars come out, you always count to four before you open a door. Would you like me to continue?" He asks, crossing his buff arms over his chest.

My mouth is wide open in disbelief, "No. freaking. way." I breathe out. "How did you know that?"

"I told you, y/n. I know you."
____________________________________