SS!Link x Reader - Confused Feelings

"Groose leave them alone! They like each other! You have to let Zelda go." You pushed.

"I'm not letting that wimp have her! I don't even see why she likes that loser! He's not nearly as strong as me!" He scoffed, trying to pass you to break up their conversation.

You placed a firm hand on his chest and pushed him back, "I said leave them."

With a reluctant sigh Groose stopped, allowing for you to lean back on the wall behind you with your hands on your head. You were known around Skyloft as the most stubborn person around, and you had learnt how to get Groose to listen to you. On top of that, you were a knight in training, one that had beat Groose on his second time around the Wing Ceremony.

Your relationship with Link and Zelda, was complicated. The three of you had been childhood friends. But that quickly changed as you grew and Zelda became more possessive of Link, effectively cutting you out of their friendship.

You had thought that this meant Zelda liked Link, and since Link hadn't stopped her, the feelings were returned. You were not angry with them. Though Zelda could have just said something. You ended up liking the couple together.

However you were not aware of Link's feelings.

———

"Zelda, why did we stop hanging out with (Y/n)?" Link questioned, looking over to where you were, pushing Groose back.

"They outgrew us. Look," she nodded in your direction, where you were now leaning back with your hands on your head, "They don't need us anymore, since they met Groose and his posse."

"I don't believe that." Link spoke, breaking off his conversation with Zelda to walk over to you.

A faint call from Zelda to come back was ultimately ignored as he approached you.

"Hey (Y/n)! I haven't talked to you in forever, let's catch up." Link walked up beside you and leaned on the wall facing you.

"Oh. I guess it has been a while. I'm dying to know, are you together yet?" You smirked, wiggling your eyebrows at your childhood friend.

A confused look clouded Link's face, "Who? Me and Zelda?"

"Duh!" You nudged him with your elbow with a smile.

"No. What gave you the idea that I'd want that?" Pain was evident on Link's face.

You reeled back, "I'm sorry if I hit a nerve, but I thought you liked her back. That's why Zelda told me to leave. She likes you."

"And that's why you stopped hanging out with us?" The look on Link's face was much darker than his usual demeanour.

Cautiously, you answered, "Well... essentially."

Link stared at you in disbelief, "You are the most stubborn person on Skyloft and yet you let Zelda push you around."

"Link! You have to understand that I was trying to become a knight in training at the time... Zelda could've changed that. So I went along with what she said. I assumed that you liked each other, I'm sorry if I was wrong." You lowered your gaze to the ground.

Link sighed, "No. it wasn't your fault. Zelda was pushing you away and you didn't want to set her off." Lifting your chin with his hand Link continued, "Promise me you won't avoid me any longer. I've missed you a lot (Y/n)."

Looking into Link's earnest eyes you couldn't help but promise. You missed your friend as well. With a short hug Link took off to find Zelda and give her a piece of his mind.

"There's no way I'm letting that dweeb have both you and Zelda!"

You looked back at Groose who was now coming closer to you, with a firm hand you once again pushed him into place, "Don't be getting any weird ideas Groose."

———

"Zelda!" Link yelled as he jogged up to her at the goddess's statue, "We need to talk."

"Oh I'd love to but I'm kinda busy right now." She smiled.

Link gave her a once over, "No you aren't. You are just trying to find a way to get yourself out of this mess you've made." Link glowered. "I can't believe you would do that Zelda! And right after I had told you about my feelings for them!" Link was clearly distraught, but Zelda was quite calm still.

"They think that I like you, which I don't in that way." Zelda flinched at his words, "Why would you do this?" He growled.

"I was doing what was right for our relationship! They were going to manipulate you!" Zelda cried, finally breaking her calm demeanour.

"So instead you manipulated them? That's low Zelda. I don't think we should see each other as friends for a while." Link walked off, absentmindedly trying to find you.

Whilst walking around Skyloft, a blur of navy flew right over Link's head at ridiculous speeds, a loud whoop echoing through the air. Looking back, Link saw you on top of your loftwing smiling as you made ridiculous turns almost taking out a few people on your way past. Link subconsciously smiled as he ran to the nearest deck and jumped off. Whistling for his own loftwing.

Once in the sky, Link started to catch up with you. Having his bird sidle up with yours. The ridiculous winds made it hard to hear anything, but Link didn't let that stop his confession.

"(Y/n)!" He called.

You whipped your head to face him hair in your eyes, "What?!"

"I like you!!" Link yelled over the wind with a grin.

Your eyes widened at the sudden confession, suddenly you turned your bird towards a small island and landed there, Link following.

Gently hopping off of your bird, you spoke up, "I think the wind warped your words. Say it again."

Link jumped off his bird and came closer to you. Grabbing your hands, "I said that," Link took a deep breath, "that I like you."

Your mouth gaped at his words, "You know that I like you. After all, I told you I liked you the first time we met."

Link's brows furrowed, "But that was as friends?"

You shrugged, "It works as both." You chuckled before reaching up and giving him a quick peck.

Link's face flushed, "Wanna spend the day together?"

You grinned widely, "Definitely."

———
1053 words