1: The Scarecrow

22 Years Later

The market at midday was as usual, cacophonpus and crowded, smelling like wet earth and rot. Crawling with animals and opportunist, an indistinguishable lot.

I squirmed my way through herds to the market stands where I found Mr. Jara, an optimistic old florial. A grin lit up his features when his eyes landed on me. I returned a smile beneath my scarf.

"How's it going Mo-Mo darling?" Mr. Jara greeted.

"Oh just the usual, supper," I answered, already picking out the best looking vegetables among the rotting mess on his table.

"Yeah, you be safe on your journey back lil girl, these roads aren't as safe as they used to be." His voice crackly and his eyes kind.

I threw him a smirk, and pointed at him with a greying carrot. "Course, you too, don't get in too much trouble. You'll only worry Mrs. Jara."

He snickered.

I handed him his silver pieces and bid him goodbye. The journey back was long, for we lived on the outskirts where it's mostly tall grass and savage creatures who'd probably kidnap you and turn you into a scrumptious soup for supper.

When I reached home I found my brother, Hirai, hanging from his feet in a tree, bow and arrow in hand. He had yet to ever hit a target, but he sure was skilled at making mom and dad worry.

I flicked him on the ear. "Hirai I swear, Mom's gonna have a heart attack. Get off the damn tree!"

"Save it sissy, how can I become a knight if I can't hang from a tree while shooting an arrow," he retorted, aiming around me for a make shift target he had painted on the house walls.

"I don't think that's a requirement." I couldn't help an eye-roll.

"Says you."

I could've easily pulled him off the tree but it'd have been much more enjoyable to watch him fall.

When I did step into the house I almost had a heart attack because my little sister sprung out of nowhere and practically jammed her head into my throat at an attempt to hug me. Children have hard skulls, I thought I was going to die.

Mom saved my life when she detached her from my neck. "Ray, we talked about this. No, surprise attacks."

She pouted, hugged me by waist then ran off.

I rubbed my throat and passed the basket of goods to my mom. She took it reluctantly, her lips lifting into a hopeful smile. "Anything good?"

I shook my head. "The usual."

The hope in her eyes immediately diminished but she hid it behind her smile. I wished I could bring home better food for my family. But that was all I could offer. That was all the land could produce these days. Beggars can't be choosers, as they say.

"Thanks anyway baby, why don't you go check on your father out back, while I prepare supper." She flicked her head in his direction.

I went ahead to the back door. Outside in the fields was my father hauling hay onto a cart. I rushed to his aid in a heartbeat, picked up two bales of hay and placed it on the cart. I could practically feel him radiate disapproval behind me.

"Girls aren't supposed to lift hay," he muttered.

"Neither are old men," I retorted.

His eyes narrowed on me. But soon he was grinning ear to ear. "Yep you're definitely my kid."