70: Revolution

There was an unease that lingered in the air that many refused to acknowledge. Chaos was drawing nearer and nearer, with each wave of new rebels and the news of protests rocking Kreatier's towns and cities. Kreatier's foundation was worn and wobbly. At any moment it would collapse.

As peaceful as life beneath the earth was, some nights I'd stay up staring up at the stars past the glass ceiling. Waiting for the cracks. For knights to come raiding. For the king's wrath. That night was just like this.

Philip was by me that night. Side by side we sat, on my balcony awaiting the first star to twinkle through the evening gloom.

Tsiho was fast asleep in our bedroom. As each day passed my love for her only grew. But like peace, I feared the day I'd lose her. 

"What if Hoku comes back?" I said.

"It'd be foolish optimism to believe he survived in the hands of those men. They're cold hearted killers Mo, they know no mercy."

"Don't you think he wouldn't have wanted me to take care of Tsiho?"

Philip averted his gaze to me. "If anything he'd be thankful. I know the way you love." He grinned, touched his forehead to mine. "Not many can love like you. And that's one of the reasons I love you."

My eyes fell close. Fear sparked in the back of my mind. If my love was any different, then no one could ever replace him. "Live Philip. Live."

I felt him pull away. When I opened my eyes, he was on a knee before me. A silver ring in his hand.

"If I live, will you marry me?" He said, a lopsided grin almost nervously placed on his face.

A stray tear escaped me. "I'd marry you right now, if I could."

He laughed, leaned over, kissed my cheek and fit the ring over my finger.

Delight danced in his eyes as his smile filled me with warmth. But an  undeniable fear brewed beneath. "I don't want you to lose me as a husband. If I live after tomorrow, marry me then."

"Whatever you are to me I'll love you even when you're gone." I took his hands in mine. "I don't know what the gods saw in me to give me you."

He laced his fingers through mine, seated himself beside me. "The gods must've planned this, having me meet you. But it's up to us to make it work. Do you promise to love me even when I hurt you?"

I nodded.

"Do you promise to love me even when my looks fade and I lose my sexy body?" He wiggled his brows. 

I laughed. "Even when you lose all your teeth, I'll still love your smile. Even when you're annoying and insufferable. Do you promise to love me even when I'm being selfish? Even when I'm angry?"

"Even when you push me away." He circled an arm round my back and pulled me close. "Even when your warmth fades. And you forget my name. Even to the end of time."

"Thank you, Philip." My head dropped onto his shoulder. "For choosing to fight for us."

The first stars came out to play. Even in infinite darkness they danced. I wished I could be as hopeful.

~~~

Men and women stood shoulder to shoulder in the streets, their full attention on the man who donned the skull of a vuruk. Many more flooded through the tunnels, like moths to a flame they surged forward to hear at least a word out of their leader. Eyes ablaze with admiration, fists clenched in courage and hearts aligned with the spirit of revolution.

"The time has come for Kreatier to be renewed. No longer shall we bow to a ruthless king. No longer shall we hide our true selves. No longer will we live in fear of war. No longer shall we starve nights on end. No more!"