20: Sybil

I found out quite early that I was an outcast. I hated the way I looked. What I could do. That I wasn't my parents' real daughter. That I didn't look like them. But they were my mom and dad nonetheless. Never once did they ever treat me like anything but their daughter, even when they had children of their own—I only became an older sister. Most people would have disposed of a child like me had I ended up at their doorstep instead, and yet they chose not to. I owed them more than my life, I owed them who I am today. And I would fight tooth and nail to bring them back.

"Why didn't you tell me she wasn't here?" I wasn't quite ready to burst yet.

Philip would not look me in the eye. "She'll be back, soon."

"How soon is soon?"

"Two months' time," he whispered, though loud enough for me to hear.

"And there's a bigger chance that she will say no then yes?"

"I'm sure you're sweet enough to melt her stone cold heart."

I'd have blushed if I didn't know Philip did that every single woman he laid his eyes upon. "Well can't you just check if my parents are ok."

"I'd love to but I told you, I don't work with that kind of magic." His face lit up suddenly. "But I think I know someone who might. Tomorrow, before we meet the king, I'll take you to her."

What was hope that filled my chest quickly turned into anxiety. "We're meeting the king tomorrow? And you're just telling me this today?"

Philip sat across from me on the bench. He held my gaze as he spoke. "Don't freak out. Because I know you will."

"How can I not?!" I burst. "He's the king!"

"All you have to do is introduce yourself and answer his questions. Not hard at all."

My hands itched to slap Philip across the face. This man was the end of me.

~~~

I woke the next morning both excited and distraught. Excited because I'd be meeting someone who'd tell me how my family is. And distraught because right after that I'd meet the king. It's not every day that you feel such conflicting emotions. I was in an odd state.

Leofwin and I were told that our breakfasts would be served in the guards dining hall. And we happened to step out our doors at the exact same moment. We walked in each other's company to the castle, in mostly silence, not the kind that was awkward and constricting but the comfortable kind. I didn't know much about Leofwin. I hardly saw him the first three tests, but I did remember his name being called, and I'll be honest I wasn't expecting him to look how he looked.

"So are you nervous for today?" Leofwin asked.

"Yes. I think. I mean, of course." I sighed. "I definitely am."

He chuckled. "You're funnier than you look." His smile suddenly dropped, after the last word was said. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean that."

I smiled. "That's alright, I'd like to know. How do I look then?"

"You always look worried," he replied hesitantly. "You never smile too often, only around Philip. You're shy and quiet. It's easy for anyone to mistake you for a bad person."

"I guess I just have a lot of things on my mind these days. I miss my family."

He gave me a sympathetic look. "You'll see them again, don't worry."

I hope so, though I didn't say it.

Philip found me in the guard's dining hall where he made me eat as fast as I could. And after I was done, he dragged me out of there and brought me to a room we didn't visit yesterday. Inside sat a frail old woman, whose hair was as white as her skin. The white cloth she wore only added to her eerie appearance. She sat so still one would have mistook her for dead. Her eyes closed, leaning back in her chair. Shallow breaths. Loud yawns.

"She's asleep, maybe we can come back later," I whispered.

"No, she's always napping." Philip brushed me off. "SYBIL!!"

The old woman jerked awake. I would be lying if I said I didn't think that was petrifying. She looked here and there, and finally her eyes fell on Philip. And only when they did, did I notice the color difference of her eyes; the right side purple, the left green. "Oh it's just you Phil."

"Have you eaten? Have you bathed? Did you visit your granddaughter today?" Philip fired question after question.

"Yes, yes, and not yet," the old woman answered as she lowered two wrinkly fingers.

"Alright, I brought a friend. I want you to help her."

"Where is she?" Sybil was looking out the window instead of looking at me, who was standing right beside Philip.
Philip cleared his throat and Sybil looked his way. "Yes dear?"

"My friend, she's right here." Philip pointed at me.

Sybil's eyes expanded greatly when they landed on me. She jolted to her feet and bounded towards me. She took my face in her old hands and brought it closer to hers. "Whose daughter are you?"

I tried to lean back but the old woman's grip was as strong as any youth. I looked to Philip for help. He only smiled and nodded. Philip was always so useful till he wasn't.

I gave the only answer I knew. "I was adopted. My parents' names are Darrell and Lucille Dalk."

"No, no, no, whose daughter are you?"

Her breath smelled of wine and cheese. Whoever had allowed this old woman to drink wine was as mad as she was. "I don't know. But I need your help."

At that she released me and stepped back. She paced the room, her breathing labored. Philip took her hand and led her to her chair. "Sybil if it's too much for you, we can go."

"No!" The old woman yelped. She beckoned me towards her with a finger. I took careful steps toward her and took the seat beside her. I took the gem in my hands and handed it to her.

Her eyelids fell close. She leaned back in her chair. But her hands squeezed around the gem. One, two, three seconds passed and her eyes shot open, releasing beams of light the color of each eye. Her small body shook, as her free hand dug into the armrest of her chair.

I became worried. "Philip is she alright?"

But Philip was just as horrified as I was. I leaned over her to take the gem back but he stopped me before I could. "Wait, leave her."

Finally, she spoke. But not in her voice. It was deeper, darker, heavier and reminded one of all their wrong doings. "I am Aigar."

"I know you," I said.

"Indeed you do. We met briefly when I took your parents and siblings' bodies."

"Are they okay? How are they?"

"Do not fret young one, they are at rest."

"What?!" I gasped. "What kind of rest?!"

"They are merely asleep. Their souls are encased in this crystal till you can provide their vessels."

"Can't you just bring them back?" By then I didn't sound like myself, my voice cracked and tears threatened to fall.

"Alas, your mother exchanged their bodies for this gem. I am not who can help you. But she who can is not too far."

The beams of light faded and Sybil's hand fell open. I picked up the gem and held it close to my heart.

"Wait for me," I said. I stood to leave when she spoke again.

"He is closer than you think," said a sleeping Sybil, in her own voice.

I turned hesitantly. "Who is?"

"The man who loved you before he knew you." 

A/n: yes, sybil means seer and I could've gone creative but I prefer names with meanings, especially when it is the polar opposite of the named's personality and appearance. Also, we have ourselves another plot hole, man do I love and hate plot holes.