29: The Beast

"I swear if you call yourself Marigold, I can't speak to you ever again?" protested KB.

Philip beamed. "Really?"

KB cackled. "No way, not letting you off so easily."

He grunted, "at least mine is an actual name, December is not a name for a person."

"Hey, I actually like it," I insisted.

"But I think we can all agree that Lucius has the best name," KB declared.

Lucius pointed a thumb at himself and tilted his head.

"Dave Smith," Philip said and took a moment to think it over. "Yeah."

Lucius bowed slightly.

"Showoff." KB chuckled and Lucius chuckled along inaudibly, his shoulders bumping up and down.

A knock at the door stole our attention away from Lucius. Hugh beckoned for us. "They're here."

"Ugh Astor," Philip groaned as we left to go greet our partners.

"Why don't you like Rowan, you guys would make great friends," I told him.

"What was that," KB chimed in, "did you just say you don't like Rowan Astor? Well, I wonder why?"

"Must you?" Philip sneered. "He's a filthy little rat."

"Mo, is he a filthy little rat?" KB grinned.

I shook my head and Philip curled his lips.

"I'm gonna miss you guys," KB laughed.

"We'll be back," I said, to both her and I but as sure as I sounded I wasn't.

Rowan and a woman dressed in a loose dark dress stood beside their horses not too far off. When his eyes landed on us, he gave a brief wave. We met each other half way and exchanged greetings.

"Philip, Kombai, Lucius and Mo," Rowan said, shaking each of our hands. "How are you all?"

"Good, thanks for asking," KB beamed.

Lucius gave a thumbs up.

Philip grunted.

"Alright," I replied. I turned my gaze to the woman, stretching my hand out to her. "You must be Brise, I'm Mo."

Brise in one word would be eerie. And I don't mean to insult her, she just is. Small and thin framed. Her black knee length hair, was parted down the middle and tied into two loose braids. Her skin paper-white, almost deathly pale. Eyes red-rimmed. When she looked at me, my hair stood on end.

"Hmm, okay," she said so softly and walked away, not bothering to greet the others.

"Well she's still a creep," Philip muttered.

"I must agree with you there," Rowan said.

We watched as she disappeared behind a castle door. I couldn't help but worry. "Is she alright? She seems a bit down."

"Oh no that's how she always looks," Philip explained. "Banshees cry a lot. But I don't think Brise Daniels is capable of sadness or emotion for that matter."

I scowled at Philip.

"She seems nice," said a grinning KB.

~~~

"And for Mo, a hair pin," Eve said, handing me a grey bendable piece of metal that would conceal my identity. Philip was given an armband, Lucius a belt, Rowan a wristband and Brise an earring. "You will wear them when you leave the castle. Those who know you will not recognize you but you will be able to recognize each other. This also allows you to lie and make it seem as though you were telling the truth."