39: His Own Worst Enemy

It's difficult. Trying to figure out whether Lucius was asleep or just lying down completely still. Though, I was just glad to see the rhythmic rise and fall of his chest. I took a seat opposite him on a chair, saying nothing. But then the first tear slips past. And he wipes my tears.

"Lucius," I gulped.

He sat up, leaned against the wall and regarded me. A gruff sound came from him.

"No," I said, "you don't have to say anything. Just listen to me."

He nodded.

"Thank you," I began. "I know I should apologize" – he shook his head – "but, saying sorry does nothing to reveal your good heart. So I say thank you, because I'm grateful to have such a kind, selfless, sweet person as my friend. And I will never forget what you did for me. No matter what happens."

We met David outside where we thanked him again and as many times as I could.

He simply smiled and said, "I know its best you keep details of your journey to yourselves, but if it's any help, if you go far enough right through the woods, you will reach a road. May the gods watch over you children."

But as we turned to leave, he called out to us. "Wait." We watched him disappear behind a door and reappear with a coat. He handed it to Lucius. "The bandages stand out quite a bit."

Lucius shook his head and waved his hands about.

"This coat belongs to my grandson," David explained, "well it belonged to him, before he passed. I don't think I have anything that'll fit you. But you have similar heights so I thought..."

I nudged Lucius. He looked to me. "The bandages stand out," I whispered. "They could still be out there."

He hesitantly accepted the old man's offer. And as David had suspected, it fit perfectly. Again we thanked David and finally we left.

By midday the woods lost all its eerie aura. Though I was still on my guard the whole time, anticipating attacks all around, I couldn't breathe freely till we stepped out of the woods onto the road. But bordering the opposite side of the road was the woods, again, stretching far and beyond. Lucius and I started down the road, hoping to find a familiar path or a familiar face, at least.

"Do you remember passing this way last night?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"Me neither," I sighed.

We probably walked for an hour before we decided to take a break. But not for long when we got to our feet and continued down the road. If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought we were walking in circles, but then we saw the first sign of tall dry grass.

"Grass, Lucius, grass!" I cheered and ran down the road, dragging Lucius along, though he was a fair bit taller than me.

I had never been so happy to see grass. The bristly blades brushed against my skin as I ran through the prairie, though I knew I'd itch like crazy later, I gladly welcomed their prickly little leaves. Lucius followed closely behind. I halted abruptly when a familiar voice reached my ears. Lucius stepped forward, listing his head.

"Do you hear that Lucius?" I whispered. "It sounds, it sounds like Philip."

He hesitated then nodded slowly.

"Philip!" I shouted, pushing the grass out of my way, stomping over them, desperately trying to make my way to him. "Philip! Are you there!"

"Mo!" Came his voice. "Mo, is that you!"

"Philip!"

"Mo! I'm coming!"

And then the grass parted before me and there came a grinning Philip. But over the grass I caught a glimpse of someone who didn't need to have heard us, Xon. Pushing Philip forward, I dropped onto him as he dropped onto the grass. I looked behind me to find Lucius missing.