27: The Plan

Once the king was off his carriage and ushered into the safety of the castle, I could breathe freely again. I climbed off my horse but my foot got stuck in a strap and I knew I was going to fall. But when I didn't and instead I felt hands hold me by the waist, I opened my eyes to find Rowan, chuckling. He helped me off the horse and when I was on my feet, I considered bolting.

"Does that happen often?" He asked.

My cheeks warmed. "Horse riding isn't my forte. Thanks."

"No worries." He ran a hand through his hair and looked away. "Uh, actually Mo-"

"MO!"

It was strange how the sound of his voice put me at ease. He came running up to me. Attacked me with a hug. As glad as he made me feel, I hated that I enjoyed his company.

"Philip Nole?" I heard Rowan say.

Philip released me and turned to Rowan with a raised eyebrow. Though he seemed the least bit surprised and more annoyed. "Rowan Astor?"

Rowan grinned and stretched out a hand that Philip took, reluctantly. "You became a king's guard?"

Philip seemed different. He puffed out his chest, like he did when he was near females. "Things happen. You work for Aglovale?"

"Yeah, he offered, I took the job." Rowan's gaze fell on me and he smiled. "Small world, isn't it? Philip and I were in the same company back in the army. And now he works with you."

Philip stared at me sternly. I wondered what had happened when we were away, because he was acting strange. He turned his gaze to Rowan. "Well Rowan, it was great seeing you again. But I can see your colleague there already getting ready to leave."

And sure enough Rowan's comrade was climbing his horse and shouted for his men to get ready. Rowan climbed onto his horse and relayed his goodbyes before he could leave.

"It was lovely meeting you Mo," Rowan said. And to Philip, "and you too man, it's good to see you doing well. Until we meet again." And with that his horse started out the gate.

"So you've met Rowan?" Philip urged, though he said Rowan like one would say rotten eggs.

"Yeah, he's great," I replied and started for the castle door. Philip followed beside me, watching me blatantly.

"Don't be fooled," he said. "I'm saying this because I'm your friend. Rowan is a sly bastard who breaks women's heart as a hobby."

I halted and regarded Philip. "Like you?"

He tittered and shook his head. "I flirt. Make ladies wish they had me. He makes ladies his then discards them when he's had enough of them."

I nodded along, amused at his comparison. "Philip, what are you even talking about?"

"I'm saying he's using you."

"We're," I faltered. I didn't need Philip getting to me, but he came close. If Rowan was using me, then that meant everything he had said was a lie. I brushed the thought aside. "I hardly know him. Do you think that little of me to think that my heart can be won by someone I've just met?"

From the corner of my eye I saw him exhale. Something definitely happened when I was gone. And I suspected it had something to do with the mysterious masked man named Cyr.

"Did word reach you yet?" I inquired. "About Cyr?"

Philip froze. His smile faded and his expression morphed into a gravely one. "What did you just say?"

"There was a strange man who attended the ball, he said he was an old friend of his majesty. But then he started talking about how it's the king's fault Kreatier will fall."

He took my hand suddenly and we rushed down the hall and to the guard's lounge. Inside, everyone sat around with anxious expressions, while Eve stood with a piece of paper in hand. She nodded at us and motioned to the seats, "we've been expecting you two. Take a seat, we have much to discuss."

I seated myself beside KB and Berenice and Philip took an empty seat.

Eve glanced at the sheet in her hand then lifted her gaze to us. "Cyr has returned."

"Eve, you don't have to lead if you don't feel comfortable," Hugh said, rising from his seat.

But Eve remained stoic. "I haven't been in contact with Cyr since he was banished. And I don't intend to ever again. Do you not trust me to lead this meeting?"

Hugh sighed, shook his head and lowered into his seat again.

"Thank you," Eve exhaled. "It seems he is behind the series of protests across Kreatier which have taken place over the past month and two days ago he made his presence known at Lord Aglovale's manor. Initially the protests seemed unsystematic, random, but upon further investigation we discovered a significant pattern in these uprisings." She rose the sheet into the air. Etched into the paper was a drawing of Cyr's mask. "Witnesses claim participants of the protests wore this mask. Cyr was seen wearing this mask at the ball. With all things considered he has proved himself a threat to the king. A threat whose elimination must be thoroughly planned and executed. For Cyr is no ordinary man. He knows his majesty as well as we do."

"Cyr was once a king's guard," Hugh added.

A strange feeling washed over me. A feeling familiar to me, but one I could never place. Being blamed for something I never did. But feeling guilty anyway. Though, no one had accused me of anything. Maybe it was me.

"A great number of people have been arrested and are being arrested this very second for pledging loyalty to Cyr," Eve continued. "The highest punishment awaits them for their crimes against his majesty. They are organized, armed, skilled and accepting of all." An unfamiliar emotion flickered in Eve's eyes. Something that seemed foreign to her of all people, excitement.

"What are you planning, Eve?" Ingram questioned, on the edge of his seat.

"I've already proposed this to the Council of Defenses." A ghost of a smile on Eve's lips. "It is only a matter of time before my plan is approved."

"Alright, I'm scared. Eve is smiling," KB cautioned.

"What's going on?" Leofwin gulped.

Eve seemed very pleased with herself. "We will infiltrate Cyr's mob."

a/n: expect a Hugh book in the future. wink wink.