Chapter 4

"I hate him, I hate him, I hate him, I hate him."

Malfoy hadn't stopped muttering those words ever since we had left the defense against the dark arts class. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about the new teacher, Made-Eye Moody, but to be honest, I don't think anyone did, either. On one hand, the lesson was interesting, there was no denying that. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been intrigued watching him perform all three of the unforgivable curses because, knowing with the path Adrian and I were on, I knew they'd come in handy one day. On the other hand, there was something about watching a spider squirm in pain from the cruciatus curse that was a bit unsettling, and there was something about watching Professor Moody put a spider on Malfoy's face that was hilarious.

So, all in all, the lesson wasn't that bad.

"I don't know," Daphne says, practically skipping across the stone floor with a comically big grin on her face, "I thought the lesson was rather intriguing."

"Yeah, but that's because you didn't have a giant spider crawling across your face," Malfoy points out. He quickens his pace as he swings his bag over his shoulder. "You wait-"

"Until your father hears about this?" I finish, rolling my eyes. Malfoy's face goes pink as the group of Slytherins around us laugh. I hadn't realized Pansy, Theo, Millicent, Crabbe and Goyle had all decided to follow us. Probably because of Malfoy. I try to ignore them and go on. "Honestly, Malfoy, if you had a problem with the lesson, why don't you take it up with the professor?"

"It wasn't the lesson I had a problem with," Malfoy growls, "In fact, I thought it was a very educational topic- it's just, teachers shouldn't be allowed to do that to students. I mean, put giant spiders on their faces and all that." He grunts when he see's everyone is staring at him as if he had grown three heads. "Dumbledore always hires the worst teachers. First that oaf, Hagrid, and then that werewolf," he practically spits as he goes on rambling, "and now..." he doesn't finish his sentence, not quite sure what to say. I don't blame him. There aren't quite enough words to describe the new defense against the dark arts professor. Strange, yes. Slightly insane, yes, but there wasn't a single category he seemed to fit into. Professor Lupin was quiet, gentle, and patient (and a little favoring of Gryffindor House). Professor Quirell was cowardly, scared of practically everything and could never finish a lesson due to his awful stutter. Then there was Professor Lockhart, arguably the worst defense against the dark arts teacher Hogwarts had ever had. Professor Moody, however, is mysterious, and I don't think he's too eager to reveal much more about himself other than that he was a former auror.

"I agree with Daphne," Blaise chimes in. "He seems to be the only professor we've had that really seems to understand what he's doing, you know?"

Draco doesn't say anything as the rest of the Slytherins nod in agreement. The feeling, however, doesn't last long as we head to our next defense against the dark arts class nearly a week later. When Professor Moody announces he will be performing the imperius curse on all students, many people protest, including me.

"But- you said it was illegal, Professor," Granger says when we all enter the class. She's standing next to Potter and Weasley while Moody is rearranging the class. I quietly nod in agreement with her. I, for one, am not in favor of being controlled by another person against my will. Moody doesn't seem to care, though, as he continues to clear the room of desks to make space in the center of the classroom. "You said to use it against another human was-"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," says Moody, cutting Granger off. I roll my eyes. Of course this was Dumbledore's idea. Moody goes on. "If you'd rather learn the hard way- when someone's putting it on you so they can control you completely- fine by me. You're excused. Off you go."