Chapter 17

"Alright, are you sure you know what to do?"

Potter nods.

"Yeah, use the summoning spell, grab my Firebolt, and fly away from the dragon," he says, his breath shaky as he recites the words for the hundredth time. I inhale a sharp breath and glance back toward the tent behind us where he rest of the champions are. In only a matter of minutes, Potter would be fighting a dragon, and after six days, the realization finally seemed to hit him; His hair was more of a mess than it usually was, and his skin's a sickly green color.

I eye him up and down, concerned.

"Okay." I nod, though, its really more to myself than anything. I look up at Potter and give a small smile, not quite sure what to say.

"Aren't you going to wish me good luck?" Potter then asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, right. Good luck." I quickly avert my gaze when his eyes meet mine, staring at a point in the floor. It takes me a few moments for me to look up at him again. He gives a small yet reassuring smile.

"Thank you, Y/n," he says, "if it weren't for you..." he makes a weird noise that's very unlike him, "... I'd probably die."

"It's no problem," I hear myself say. His gaze meets mine, and a few moments of silence pass by.

"Potter?" He looks up at me, bashful. My grin widens. "If you die, I will personally drag you out of hell and kill you again, you understand?" Potter smiles, a soft laugh escaping his lips. "I'm serious, you know."

"I know you are," he says, "which is why I'll try my best not to die."

"Good."

Without thinking, I wrap him into a hug and bury my face into his shoulder. His dark brows furrow, surprised and taken aback at the gesture. It takes him a few seconds before he hugs me back, his touch soft and gentle. After what feels like hours, he pulls back, his face red. I frown.

"It was only a hug, Potter."

"Yeah" is all he says.

We both stand there awkwardly, and my hands fall to my side, not quite sure what to do or say. After a few moments, I look up at Potter and give a quick nod of acknowledgment before slowly making my way up to the stadium where the rest of the Hogwarts students are. I take a seat next to Adrian, who looks out at the dragons with excitement.

"Dragons, huh? Can't believe you were hiding it from us the whole time," he nudges me in the shoulder as I anxiously wait for the tournament to start. "So..." Adrian leans closer and lowers his voice in a whisper, "do you and Potter have a plan?"

"Yes." I nod, my voice distant. "A very flawed one, but a plan, nonetheless." Adrian looks at me, expecting me to go on, but I remain quiet.

"Well?" He raises an eyebrow. "Care to tell me what this flawed plan of yours is?"

I open my mouth to tell him, but am cut short by the thunderous applause of the stadium. My eyes flicker over to the tent, and from there, Cedric Diggory emerges from it, greener than ever. Adrian stiffens as the Hufflepuff slowly approaches the Swedish Short Snout, making an odd sort of grunt.

"You do have a boyfriend. You know that, right?"

"Shut up." He mutters, but suddenly jumps when a burst of fire escapes the dragons mouth. The crowd shrieks as Cedric leaps away, narrowly avoiding being burnt alive by the Swedish short snout.

We all watched, terrified as we sit and watch Cedric try to catch the golden egg. The crowd screamed... yelled... gasped like a single many-headed entity as Cedric did whatever he was doing to get past the Swedish short snout. Blaise and Theodore Nott went absolutely wild, waving their Potter stinks badges in the air, acting as though the whole thing was a rather strange Quidditch match. I feel my stomach twist and turn, until finally, after about fifteen very long minutes, Diggory had finally captured the golden egg, and Adrian and practically every girl in the stadium let out a simultaneous sigh of relief.