Chapter 30

Harry's p.o.v

The moment Harry saw the clock hit midnight, he was already out of bed, robes on, hair a mess, and wand in his pocket. He checked the dormitory to see if anyone was awake as well, and when nobody was, he made his way into the common room and out into the hallway, feet sliding against the cold floor as he looked both ways to see if any Prefects were nearby. He realized, suddenly, that he was grateful Percy Weasley was no longer attending the school, knowing that he would patrolling the seventh floor like his life depended on it.

But as quick as his relief came, he remembered that somewhere roaming these halls was Adrian Pucey: Y/n's older brother. He felt a shudder role down his spine at the thought of having to explain why exactly he was sneaking off in the middle of the night. Of course, explaining to somebody's older brother that you were going to meet their younger sister in a secluded room past curfew usually gave them the wrong idea, and it was not a conversation Harry intended to have.

Noticing his heart had began to beat significantly faster, he quickly pushed the thought out of his mind. Slowly, Harry wrapped the invisibility cloak around himself until his body completely vanished into thin air. A smirk crossed his face, knowing that Y/n would have to sneak out without a cloak like his.

Harry shook his head to himself. He was putting in so much effort into sneaking out, all so he could just see her face for such a short amount of time. Every moment he was away from her felt like an eternity, and he wanted nothing more than to hold her hand like they had done in Hogsmeade not too long ago. Even as he simply recalled the memory, a ridiculous smile was plastered all over his face. He quickly fixed his expression, not wanting to embarrass himself.

Suddenly, the flower that was sitting in Harry's pocket felt much heavier. Hermione had picked it for him earlier that day and encouraged him to give it to Y/n, but he wasn't too sure. He was confident that she'd either find it weird or would be scared by the idea of a romantic gesture like that. To be fair, if the roles reversed, Harry would probably freak out as well. Of course, as he thought it over, he realized that was a huge lie. If Y/n Pucey were to give him a flower, he would probably hold onto it for the rest of the year, maybe longer.

He pushed forward, quickening his footsteps as he made his way to the kitchens. He could hardly contain himself. He already had everything planned out: He would arrive early- only a few minutes before Y/n- and would get the elves to make something she liked... whatever that was, and then, they would talk, maybe play a round of ten questions, and then he'd tell her about the third task. He wasn't particularly excited about the last part, but it would have to do for now.

Finally, he reached the giant portrait of the fruit bowl and tickled the pear. The handle to the door appeared, and Harry hurriedly opened it, knowing that he didn't have much time to prepare everything. He quickly looked around and immediately panicked when he saw that there were no house elves. How was he going to make something now? Harry knew he had absolutely no cooking experience, and even if he did, he doubted he could make a meal in the span of a few minutes.

Where the hell were the house elves?

"Jesus, Potter, if I had known going to the kitchens was going to be so stressful for you, I wouldn't have come."

Harry snapped his head the direction the noise was coming from and saw Y/n sitting on one of the kitchen tables, already enjoying a pumpkin pastry as her legs dangled from the edge of the table. She took another bite, swallowed, then added, "How did you get on avoiding the prefects?"

"Same as always," Harry replied, flashing a broad grin as he climbed onto the table to sit next to her, "no problems at all.  Of course, it does help to have an invisibility cloak..." he trailed off, then turned to face Y/n. "How about you? Didn't run into any scary older brothers, did you?"