Chapter 13

"Merlin's beard, Y/n! It's Saturday morning, and the first thing you do is read?"

I look up and smile when I see Daphne approach me, a small smirk on her face as she sits down onto of the couches in the Slytherin common room. She cranes her neck to get a better look at what I'm reading and furrows her eyebrows.

"Why are you reading our potions textbook?" She asks, confused as she tries to take the book from my hands. I slap her hand away as I flip to the next page.

"I'm tutoring Potter, remember?"

Daphne raises an eyebrow. "On a Saturday?" I nod. She clicks her tongue, giving me a disapproving look. "Now, Y/n, that won't do. C'mon, lets do something fun." She stands up and looks at me expectantly when she see's I haven't moved.

My eyes go slightly wide. "Right now?" I ask. Daphne nods several times, a comically wide grin on her face. I laugh, shaking my head. "Daphne, I'd love to, but I've really got to study-"

"You're so boring!" Daphne grabs me by the arm and lifts me off of the couch with a jerk. I let out a startled yelp. "C'mon, I'm about to prank the Weasley twins, and you're going to help me."

I laugh. "No, I'm not."

"Y/n, I'm doing you a favor," Daphne gives me a stern, motherly-look, "you've been so stressed out with homework and tutoring Potter lately that you've hardly been yourself! Now, I don't know about you, but I feel like pranking the Weasley twins with my best friend."

I smirk. "Touching." I say sarcastically. I sigh as I set my potions textbook down. "I suppose a little bit of fun wouldn't hurt, would it?"

"Excellent!" Daphne grin widens as she lets out a small squeal of delight and hugs me, squeezing my body so tight that I think my bones might snap in half. She's surprisingly strong for somebody so small. When she lets go, I let out a gasp for for air as she grabs me by the wrist and practically drags me out of the Slytherin common room.

"I've been planning this for weeks!" Daphne tells me, excited as we quickly walk up the spiral staircase. She fishes in her pocket for a moment, her face brightening when her hand finds what she's looking for. She pulls out a small, rainbow colored candy and hands it to me.

"Candy?" I scoff. "That your brilliant prank?"

"Of course not!" Daphne puts a hand to her heart, pretending to be offended as we ascend onto the second floor. "This, my dear, Y/n, is tongue enlarging candy... or something close to that. The name's a work in progress." She gestures for me to follow her as we turn the corner. "The twins always go to the kitchens at three o'clock on Saturdays." I open my mouth to speak, but she cuts me off. "How do I know this, you ask? Well, I've been spying on them for the last few weeks. Theodore thinks I'm cheating on him because I spend so much time obsessing over them, actually..." she trails off and shakes her head. "Anyway, when we get into the kitchens, we will sneak these bad girls-" she gestures to the candy- "into their three o'clock pumpkin juices." When Daphne see's me open my mouth again, she quickly says, "Don't ask how I know that. Anyway, that's the prank. Got it?"

I slowly nod, trying to process all the information at once. It seems easy enough, and it did seem better than studying for Potter's next session (though, I would never admit it to Daphne).

"I think so." I finally say. Daphne grins as we come to a sudden halt in front of the kitchens. She steps forward and tickles the pear on the portrait. The door handle appears, and she yanks it open, revealing the swarm of house elves working about. We both slowly step forward as the elves stop to look up at us. Daphne clears her throat.

"Hello!" She says cheerfully. "I'd like two glasses of pumpkin juice, please." The elves nod and immediately get to work. Daphne turns to face me and winks. "See, Y/n? Isn't this much more fun?"