Chapter 14

I should've brought a coat.

I shiver as my feet shuffle against the wet mud, the sky pitch black as I head toward my one source of light. That source of light being Hagrid's hut. I had gotten lost on my way several times due to the sheer darkness of the night sky and trying to avoid prefects, and I had almost gotten caught a couple times. My brain was too clustered with me trying to figure out what on earth Potter wanted to show me and what the first task was. I had tried all day to figure out what it was, to no avail. It was perhaps one of the longest days of my life, and as I approach the hut, I frown when I don't see anyone. I roll my eyes in annoyance. Of course Potter was late. He always was, even if it was for something he organized.

After a few moments, I look around. Nobody's there. Is he in the hut? I glance both ways before reluctantly stepping forward and going up on my tippy-toes to peer through the window of Hagrid's house, only to see nobody's there. Not even Hagrid or his dog, Fang. I curse as I shudder again, hugging my arms close to my body in a desperate attempt to warm myself.

Seconds pass. Then minutes. Where in the bloody hell was Potter? He did say to meet at Hagrid's hut, so why wasn't he here? After what feels like hours, I sigh, deciding he must've forgotten and begin to make my way back when-

"Boo!" In an instant, a figure appears in front of me from thin air, and I scream as I draw my wand and point it at the figure. "Wait! No, Y/n!" He removes his hood, revealing a boy with long, dark, jet black hair, round glasses, and a lightning scar atop his forehead. Potter smiles goofily. "It's me, Harry!"

"I hate you!" I scream as a punch Potter in the shoulder. He grunts and recoils in pain. It takes me a moment to process what's happening as I look up at Potter, who's still grinning, his chest rising and falling. My mind is racing. First Potter wasn't there- and then... I trail off and look up at him.

"Sorry," he says, slapping away another one of my punches, "I was just trying to be fun- Ow! Would you please stop- Ow!"

"Yeah, surprising an underaged girl in the middle of the night is real fun," I say sarcastically as I shoot a glare at Potter. It's silent for a moment before I add, "How'd you do that, by the way?" I tilt my head sideways in curiosity. "You just... teleported in front of me."

"I didn't teleport," Potter tells me. "Here, I'll show you." He bends down on the ground and closes his hand into a fist and grabs a cloak of some sort off of the ground. I squint, trying to see what on earth he's doing. He grins at my confusion as he drapes it over him. The moment the cloak comes into contact with his skin, he disappears. My eyes go wide.

"Potter?" My voice goes hoarse after a few seconds. I glance both ways, trying to see where he went. "Potter, if you try to scare me again, I will murder you."

Potter slowly removes the cloak off of him, smiling when I jump. "It's an invisibility cloak," he says as I admire it, running a hand through the cloak, only to see my hand disappear. I draw my hand back immediately. "It's how I can sneak around without being caught."

"I always wondered how you did it," I say absentmindedly as I study it from afar, tilting my head, "you always were so clumsy." I then look up at Potter. "So, this is how we're going to see the first task?"

He nods. "It's in the forbidden forest." he tells me. "Obviously, they don't want us to see it, so we have to be careful."

"And you want me to fit into... that thing with you?" I say slowly as I eye the rather small cloak. "Honestly, Potter, it would be much easier if you could just tell me what the first task is."

Potter wraps the cloak around his body so that only his head is visible, and he grins. "Well, you're already here, so we might as well, right?"

I glance back at the forbidden forest. The forest that's infested with monsters and werewolves and god knows what else. He wanted me to fit into a small invisibility cloak with him just to see what the first task was. If I went in there, there was still that very small chance I could die, and I didn't know about Potter, but I would very much rather not die.