Chapter 21

It doesn't take long for Daphne and I to get ready. I sit on one of the dormitory beds, waiting as Daphne makes some finishing touches to her appearance, putting on a bit more makeup than necessary and trying hard to put her blonde hair into the perfect position. The music outside is so loud that even I can hear it from the Slytherin common room where the rest of the Slytherins wait eagerly for their dates.

"Thanks for coming with me, Y/n," she says, transfixed by her appearance in the mirror. She's been staring at herself for about five minutes now. After a few moments, she looks over her shoulder and adds, "When should we head out?"

"Whenever the boys do," I say with a shrug.

"Okay." Daphne pauses, then says, "Can we wait until Theo goes, though? I don't want him to see me."

I sigh.

"You know, it would be a lot easier if I just killed him for you."

Daphne gives me a hard look.

"Very funny," she says, no humor in her voice. "But I'd rather not go to Azkaban."

I shrug.

"Fine, have it your way." I stand up and brush the last remaining bits of dust off of my dress. I look up at Daphne. "Ready, are we?" She pauses, then nods. I give her a sympathetic look. "Don't waste your time thinking about him, alright? You're supposed to have fun."

She inhales a shaky breath and gives me a small smile.

"Yes," Daphne nods, looking as if she's trying to reassure herself. "Yes, you're right, Y/n."

I smile back and extend my arm out, and Daphne reluctantly takes it. When we walk into the common room, we're met by Blaise and Adrian.

"You look lovely," Adrian says, wrapping me into a small hug.

"Funny, wish I could say the same thing," I tease. Adrian laughs softly as I pull back, looking him up and down. Daphne loudly clears her throat, and he gives her an apologetic look.

"You look lovely as well," he quickly says. Daphne gives a satisfied smile, and I turn to face Blaise.

"Nervous?" I question, a hint of amusement in my voice.

"Me?" Blaise shakes his head. "Of course not. You know, Beauxbatons girls aren't all that intimidating."

"Beauxbatons?" I raise an eyebrow. "I didn't know you were going with one of them."

"Well, I am," Blaise says, his voice strangely tight. He quickly changes the subject. "So, Potter didn't ask you out?"

I try to hide my surprise at the sudden question.

"Of course not," I say, frowning when I hear how uncertain my voice sounds.

"You seem disappointed," Blaise notes.

"I'm not."

Blaise opens his mouth to speak, but is cut off when Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle emerge from the boys dormitory. I try to hide my amusement when I look over Draco's robes of velvet with a ridiculously high collar and Crabbe and Goyle's matching moss-colored robes. Pansy comes out of the girls dormitory a few moments later, dressed in robes of pale pink as she walks over to Malfoy, beaming. Malfoy glances at me and gives me a pleading look, and all I do is smirk, as if trying to tell him, She's your problem, not mine.

Adrian turns to face me.

"Shall we head down?" He asks me. I nod, and he extends his arm out. My smile widens before taking it. The stone entrance opens up as the four of us walk out, and the voice of several students seems to hit us like a slap in the face. As we're walking up the spiral staircase, a group of Gryffindors pass by us, one of them including Potter, accompanied by Partival Parvati. He looks surprised when he sees me, and his cheeks go slightly pink. He opens his mouth to say something, but is cut off by Professor McGonagall calling the rest of the Hogwarts champions over.