FORTY SEVEN

* please accept my apology for my absolutely shocking uploads. i have been so bad at writing and uploading recently. assessment season is coming up so i can't promise my updates will get any better, but please know i will always, always come back to this story. enjoy this chapter. i hope it makes up for the delay in updates to some extent. please engage. it really helps me out and it will boost my motivation to help get me out of this slump. thanks for being so supportive. xx *

»»————««

CAMILLE

Hearing Max's voice meant everything to me. I wanted to record it so that I could listen back to it over and over again.

Seeing him sitting up brought tears to my eyes, but hearing him talk, albeit still a little incoherent, was just the best feeling in the world. He's okay.

One week ago, he was involved in an awful accident that any normal person would definitely not survive. Yet, he was able to breathe on his own, able to talk and interact without aid. I never wanted to stop talking to him, just desperate to hear his voice on repeat like I would never hear it again. The accident made all those 'what if' scenarios rush to the forefront of my mind and it was important that I didn't take any of this for granted.

Although he was able to mutter some words and speak clearly when it came to others, Max hadn't stopped gushing over the fact that I was really pregnant, constantly wanting to feel my small, but growing, bump beneath my clothes. He would constantly look at me and whisper 'proud'.

His recovery was going well, faster than I think even the doctors imagined, but that was positive for him. It didn't necessarily mean he would leave hospital any earlier than expected, but he would be able to get back on track with rehabilitation sooner than we first thought. I just couldn't wait to take him home and love him there. He was safe here, in hospital, but I wanted him to be comfortably at home, where he belonged.

"Hey," I re-entered the room after going to grab a bite to eat. Max was sitting up, his eyes closed, but I knew he wasn't sleeping because I could see his fingers tapping against the blanket over his leg. He opened his eyes and looked at me with a smile. "How are you feeling?"

"Hi." Max's voice was quiet, his words muffled, but he gave me a thumbs up which told me everything I needed to know. To see his condition improving by the hour was amazing. I thought it would be harder than this.

"It's so good to see you sitting up," I kissed his forehead gently, still petrified of putting him in more pain. "Charles and Lando send their love. They're training, they'll be here later on."

We travelled from Lando's place in Surrey each day. McLaren and Ferrari organised a place for Lando and Charles to train, so that they could keep up with their fitness schedules while we went through such a difficult time.

"Missed you." Max mumbled with a smile, his head tilting left, so that he could look at me while still comfortably propped against the pillow. Hearing those words come from his mouth filled me with warmth.

"I missed you so much," I smiled. It felt amazing to hear his voice. "I'm so proud of you."

He nodded his head, a smile on his lips, as he reached for my hand. Ever since waking up, all Max wanted was to hold my hand. The sensation of being close to one another was everything I needed, and it seemed like the support he needed to realise that I was right here for him.