FORTY NINE

* the 2021 f1 season is over. i'm speechless. here is a chapter to celebrate! please don't forget to engage and i hope you enjoy... the next chapter will be the first part of the wedding. i hope to get that written and uploaded as soon as i can. enjoy a little lando pov in this chapter, too! vote and comment... let's go!! let's get to 100k reads soon <3 *

»»————««

CAMILLE

I woke up with heavy, exhausted eyes, a sleeping body beside me. Lando was lying with his back closest to me. I wanted to wake him up so that I didn't have to be distracted by my own thoughts.

Still dressed in his team wear and joggers, Lando fell asleep earlier than me last night. I couldn't blame him. After all, he'd raced, flown home, and driven us absolute miles just so that I could be with my best friend for a bit. I didn't deserve him and I couldn't thank him enough. I ran my fingers down my arm, realising that I was still in a hoodie and leggings. No wonder I was feeling so hot.

I glanced at the time on my phone. Nine thirty one. Grumbling to myself, I just wanted to get up and get ready so that we could rush to the hospital and be with Max. I wondered if he was already awake, if he'd eaten, if he was thinking about me. Maybe Dilara was already with him, since the hotel wasn't too far from the hospital. I hoped he wasn't all by himself in that daunting room with all the machines and the bleak, white, boring walls. I knew he was scared, even though he refused to show it.

"Are you awake?" Lando's voice was quiet as he stretched but I made out every word. Frantically, I sat up and looked at him, realising that him being awake meant we could leave sooner to head to the hospital. The guilt I felt for making Lando drive me back and forth was eating away at me more and more, but he was adamant that I wasn't staying in a hotel. It would only add to my worries. "That's a yes. Have you been awake long?"

"Only a few minutes," I sighed. "I didn't sleep well again last night. Tossing and turning. Thinking about him. I just want to be with him all of the time."

"I know you do," rolling over onto his back, Lando reached for my hand across the duvet. His skin was soft and warm against my delicate hands. Every single piece of me felt delicate right now. "He's getting better though, you can see it. You can feel it. He loves you and I know that he is so grateful to have you there."

I fell into deep thought then, not wanting to say another word because I was scared of tears falling if I said anything. Immediately, Lando knew what was on my mind. It was obvious.

"He will be there," Lando didn't hesitate to pull me closer towards him, the nape of my neck only a few centimetres from his lips. I gripped onto the arm that he held me with, appreciating his closeness and everything about being by his side when I knew Charles was so far away. "He wouldn't miss it, Camille. He won't miss it. Seeing you get married is more important to Max than anything, I swear to you."

"But what if he's not allowed? What if he can't walk?" I was beginning to get ahead of myself, but I'd not seen Max on his feet yet. I had a feeling it was coming and I had no idea if Max would struggle or if it would be as easy as it always has been. "It's so close, Lando. It's this week. I'm terrified that Jasper won't discharge him and he won't be able to walk me down the aisle with papa."

"Camille," Lando pressed a kiss to the nape of my neck. At that contact, I started to cry, but ensured it was silent. "I know you're crying. Don't cry. It's going to work out. This is Max. He won't let you down."