SIXTEEN

»»————««

CAMILLE

I grumbled, rolling over to feel somebody's fingers gently brushing through my hair from root to tip. My eyes were still full of fatigue, but the scent of fresh bedsheets filled my nostrils and I knew that I was at Max's, in my old bedroom. I cried myself to sleep last night after begging Max to leave me alone. I was still trying to comprehend the argument I had with Charles yesterday and why he walked out on me like that. I didn't do anything wrong and I was unable to understand what I did to provoke his reaction. I sighed, pushing my face further into my pillow and ignoring whoever was sitting beside me.

"Mon amour, it's me," the voice was immediately recognisable as Charles' and my eyes shot open, the fatigue washing away as I melted at the sight of him beside me. "I'm so sorry for the way I spoke to you yesterday. It was so wrong of me and I am so sorry. Just seeing you with him made me jealous, but I didn't mean anything I said about Stoffel."

"Charles," I whispered, licking my dry lips and exhaling softly as I patted the space in the bed beside me. Charles lifted his shirt from over his head and kicked his jeans away from his legs, before slipping into bed and reaching for my body. "I love you."

I allowed him to run his fingers along my side, lifting the hem of my pyjama top as he moved slowly, his breathing so gentle as he glanced at me. I'd missed being able to look into his eyes like this. He smiled at me, shaking his head whilst shuffling closer towards me.

"I never intended to hurt you. I was worked up and seeing you with Felix fuelled anger in me that I didn't even know I had," Charles focused on me with a solemn look on his face and I could see the sadness in his eyes. I just wanted to move on and go home with him, after reassuring him that I had no feelings whatsoever for Felix. Our relationship was harmless and we were simply work colleagues; I could never imagine myself being good friends with Felix. I knew that sounded harsh, but it was simply the truth. "I'm sorry, Camille. I love you and I never want to lose you. I'm just so sorry."

I could see the tears building up in Charles' eyes, my heart pounding against my chest as I realised that he was truly upset over this. I never expected him to react like this, but I could see how sorry he was and I didn't want him to hurt over this. As long as Charles knew that I was only interested in him and nobody else, I didn't mind how owe resolved this problem. I just wanted him to be happy.

"You need to trust me when I say that there is nobody else in this world for me. I only want you and that's the way it'll stay, I promise. I'm not interested in Felix, or anyone else for that matter, only you," before I could finish, Charles latched his lips onto mine whilst his fingers tugged on the roots of my hair. I muttered against his lips tiredly, but his kiss made me feel so alive. "Everything I do at work is simply so that I get paid. I've never taken my work for granted and I'm so lucky to be able to do all of this. I just need you to understand that."

"I'm sorry for overreacting," Charles sighed, the look of guilt plastered across his face, causing my stomach to dip because I knew that he blamed himself for all of this. "You're the only person I need in my life and I am so proud of you for being so mature about your job, even when I've not been. I don't know what I would do without you."

--

After he took me out for a beautiful breakfast, Charles and I went back home, together, and more in love than ever before. I knew that these bumps in the road were only normal, but I would always be faithful to him and neither of us had anything to worry about. I sat on Charles' bed, scrolling through my emails after a long phone call with Sara. Thankfully, she was alright about the situation yesterday and understood Charles was still struggling with the death of Anthoine. He was currently on the phone to Mattia so I'd given him some space. I had no idea what their conversation was about but it wasn't my place to eavesdrop, so I made myself busy. I was nervous because at the moment, everything at Ferrari was fuelled by Stefan and Mission Winnow, which made me feel sick. I tried to push it to the back of my mind but that was much easier said than done.