THIRTY TWO

* finally, an update! please read the note at the bottom of this chapter and don't forget to engage throughout - i've missed you guys! *

»»————««

CAMILLE

I was pleased that Max found someone as lovely as Dilara to fall in love with. Together, her and I were the perfect pair. She was always there for me, whether it be at a race weekend or at home in Monaco, I knew that I could always count on her and she would always be on my side. Of course, I always had Max and Charles, but female company was something I craved more as I grew older. I was pleased that she wasn't intimidated by my relationship with Max and despite the feelings we once had for one another, she would never get in the way of us. She knew that my relationship with Max was special, the bond between us was totally irreplaceable.

I was finally coming to terms with everything that I went through when I was younger. It was still so difficult to face Stefan in the paddock, especially because I had no idea when or where he would appear, but I felt braver now. I almost felt confident enough to tell someone about what I went through, someone who could help me and maybe even bring punishment to Stefan. Although, I was still terrified that nobody would believe me. It was so long ago and I knew that people would ask unnecessary questions. It was like a never ending cycle, the stress of wondering whether it was worth going to the police. I had no idea what they would do. I barely thought about it. I wanted to ask Charles to go with me, to stay by my side as I told them my story but that scared me more than looking Stefan in the eye and facing him. It was messed up, but that night left a devastating impact on my life and I knew it would never go away. Realistically, I would be scarred for the rest of my life, but I was determined to use my platform correctly to raise awareness. I just wanted to help other girls who found themselves in the same position as I was, and even men who endured something similar. I just wanted to make a difference.

"Now, whatever is on your mind, try and forget about it for tonight," Dilara placed her dainty fingertips against my shoulder. I'd perched myself on the stool in front of my dressing table in mine and Charles' bedroom, where Dilara and I got ourselves ready. We were going out tonight, just the two of us, and as Max was training, we decided to get ready at the apartment I shared with Charles. "We're going to have fun. Let your hair down and relax."

I took one final look in my mirror, smiling when I felt confident with my finished makeup look. With my favourite, baby pink dress covering my body, stopping at the top of my thighs, the jewels on the material shining in the light, I was ready to head out for the night. I chose to wear a pair of heels which were a similar shade of pink compared to my dress. My hair was styled naturally, just like the neutral tones of my makeup, but I was pleased of the look I'd put together. Dilara looked absolutely stunning, dressed in a rust-orange coloured dress, which complimented her simple makeup and natural hair. Max was so lucky.

With our arms linked together, we skipped towards the front room, where Charles was sitting with Andrea, focused on the television. Neither of them realised that Dilara and I entered the room until I cleared my throat. Charles was quick to acknowledge me and Dilara, standing up and rushing to my side, immediately reaching for my body and pulling me a little closer to his.

"You look beautiful," Charles smiled as he brushed his index finger softly across my cheek. I shivered at the feeling of his finger making such careful contact with my skin. "Are you sure you don't want me to drop you off? I don't mind, you know."

"No, it's alright, it's not far, we can walk," I smiled at his kindness, reaching for his hand whilst chewing on my bottom lip. I could feel Charles place his fingers over my engagement ring, my stomach filling with butterflies. "I'll call you later, okay?"