TWENTY ONE

»»————««

MAX

"Why are you still here with those stupid kids?" I jumped out of my skin when I heard the door slam shut, my heart beginning to pound as I thought about my little sister who was in her bedroom. I didn't want her to be alone during this. "I told you to make sure that you were gone by the time I got back!"

The sound of my dad's voice echoed through our family home, my fingers trembling as I listened to the anger which seemed to be rife in his body. I hated it when he did this, when he thought it was alright to hurt my mum, taunting her about Victoria and I. It always seemed like it was our fault. I rested my forehead on my bedroom door, my eyes focusing on my hands which hung by my side. I wanted to be with my sister; I needed to reassure her and simply be with her until this blew over. It was a common occurrence now, hearing mum and dad argue with so much force and anger, but it was just as scary each time. I knew what my father was capable of and I was so afraid of his power. I wanted to help, but I was too young, too small, and there was nothing I could do to relieve the pain.

"Why can't you understand what I'm saying to you? I want you gone!" Dad's voice caused tears to bubble in my eyes. I hated living here with him because he scared me and I knew he scared Victoria too, no matter how hard she tried to ignore him. She was only six and she was too young to be exposed to his violence and the brutal nature he'd consumed. I wanted to keep her safe. I needed to get to her and stay with her in her bedroom to ensure that she was alright and she could cope whilst being forced to listen to my dad shout and scream at mum like there was no tomorrow. "I tell you everyday that you're useless, you're a piece of shit and those kids make my life a living nightmare!"

I swallowed hard when I heard those words leaving my own father's mouth. It hit me like a ton of bricks and the pain was unbearable. The only thing I wanted to focus on now was far from what he was saying; keeping Victoria safe was the most important thing to do right now. I wrapped my delicate fingers around the door handle, quietly twisting it so the door opened without much noise. There was barely a creak. I held my breath whilst holding my fists in a ball, tiptoeing across the hallway and eyeing up my sister's bedroom. I didn't want him to catch me. I needed to have Victoria by my side, to have her safely in my company and wrap my arms tightly around her body. I found Victoria's bedroom slightly ajar. I pushed it open and tiptoed inside, shutting it as I walked closer towards my sister, who was curled up in a ball in the centre of her bed.

"Max?" It was obvious that she was crying and as she lifted her face, I could see the delicate tear stains against her cheeks and it broke my heart because I should've been protecting her. "Why is he shouting again?"

"I don't know, Vic, but I'm here now, so you're safe," I sat on the side of her bed, wrapping my arms around her shoulder and pulling her into my side. My poor baby sister was shaking like a leaf, her body feeling a little tense as she clutched onto my hand. "I won't leave you. I'll stay in your room tonight."

"What if he forces you to go back to your own room?" I shook my head as I watched the sadness and fear fill on her features. I hated my father for the way he made Victoria feel. I believed that I should have been there for her and for mum, but it was too difficult because I was too small. Mum told me to focus on karting, school and Camille, but it was difficult. Right now, I wished I could be with Camille because she always made everything better.

"I won't leave you, Vic. I'm right here." I cradled my sister's body against my chest, holding her head carefully whilst hoping that my slow rocking movement would be enough to calm her.