ONE

»»————««

CAMILLE

After Nyck invited Max and I out to Valencia for a few days to attend Formula E testing, we couldn't turn down the opportunity and sorted our flight from Japan to Spain. Despite also being invited, Charles was unable to join us because he was needed in Italy for meetings with Ferrari and Dilara was studying in Monaco; after her few days off to join us in Amsterdam, she couldn't really miss any more. I was excited to spend some time with my best friend, particularly after such a hectic week. I still felt totally overwhelmed after everything that occurred, from my birthday party, to my engagement to Charles, followed by the rainy race weekend in Japan. Having some time away from Formula One and experiencing Formula E instead was particularly enticing, and I couldn't wait.

There was only one thing that bothered me, pretty much as soon as the wheels of the plane hit the ground in Valencia; Stoffel Vandoorne. I knew he was Nyck's teammate at Mercedes, therefore bumping into him at some point during the week of testing was pretty much inevitable  and I didn't know how to prepare myself. I was afraid because I'd not spoken to him since that evening in Monaco and I couldn't think of the best way to hide what happened between us from Max. I felt rather nauseous, but I had to hide everything from my best friend because spoiling our trip was the last thing I wanted. The thought of seeing Stoffel again and having to force a normal conversation with him left me wanting to curl up in a ball and hope that the ground would swallow me up. Max knew me like the back of his hand; simply examining my facial expressions would be enough for him to realise that something was wrong. I had to hide my worries and the growing anxiety because I didn't want him to question me before we'd even visited the track. I managed to cover my nerves by dressing nicely and applying a little more makeup than usual, as Max sat on the edge of the double bed in our shared hotel room, watching carefully as I applied each product to my face. I was not at all ready to head to the circuit.

"You look pretty," Max's words were gentle as I finished packing my necessary makeup into my small bag, before reaching for my VIP Paddock Pass from my suitcase, courtesy of Max's good friend Nyck. I smiled whilst pushing my phone into the back pocket of my jeans, reaching for my denim jacket and throwing it over my shoulders. "I know how much you miss Charles, and I know how much he would love to see how beautiful you look right now, so I sent him a photograph of you as you sat on the edge of the bed. I'm sure it'll make his day."

I huffed, "you're a dick sometimes, Max."

"You love me." He smirked, whilst reaching for my arm and shoving the key card into his jeans as we made our way towards the door of our hotel room. I shrugged, whilst digging my teeth into my bottom lip at the thought of my boyfriend, who was in Maranello working his socks off to improve before the Mexican Grand Prix. I missed him so much after only being apart for one day, but I was, of course, supportive of his career and Charles knew that if I wasn't accompanying Max in Valencia, I would be by his side in Maranello. Already, I couldn't wait to reunite with Charles.

The car was waiting for us at the main entrance to the beautiful, five star hotel we'd been put into through Nyck and Mercedes. I was yet to experience Formula E, but I was so pleased that the time finally came around and I was able to share this trip with my best friend. I slipped into the back of the car, Max taking the passenger seat in the front, as I became engrossed in my phone and my conversation with Charles via iMessage. He had a short break from his work-filled day, and he was devoting that time to me whilst I promised to FaceTime him when at the track and when he was available for a little longer than ten minutes.