TWELVE. (the gun)

"Are you sure you feel okay? I think we should bring you to the hospital" Pope let out anxiously as we sat in the street

     "Are you sure you feel okay? I think we should bring you to the hospital" Pope let out anxiously as we sat in the street. It was only moments after Pope gave me CPR and I was insisting I was okay.

"Pope, I don't need to go to the hospital. I promise I'm fine. Plus we have to get that gun to Shoupe." I tried to reason, earning a sigh from Pope.

"You know we'd take her if it seemed necessary but if she says she's fine," JJ started, stopping himself to help me up. "JJ, I had to give her CPR. She pretty much just drowned" Pope argued.

"I'll go tonight and get checked. But we have to go and honestly I've spent way too much time in the hospital over the last two months." I pleaded with the boy, flashing puppy dog eyes at him.

Pope let out his breath and rolled his eyes. "Fine, let's just get this over with" He told us, making sure I was good to walk before starting towards Sam's truck.

It was a bit of a walk back to where we initially parked but JJ hoisted me up and gave me a piggyback ride. Kiara walked closely beside us on one side while Pope took the other. JJ held the gun at his chest, earning complaints from Kiara as she told him to put it away.

I tilted my head down and shut my eyes, focusing on my breathing. I knew that the situation must have scared the pogues and I knew Pope was right about going to the hospital.

"ready?" I asked Pope who bit his lip nervously. "As ever, let's just hope he decides to do his job for once, yeah?" Pope let out, nudging me with his left arm.

As the four of us walked in, the lady at the desk looked up before cringing at the sight of us, specifically the sight of me. I was undeniably filthy, like covered in dirt and grime, filthy. "Can I help you, kids?" She asked, JJ stepping forward and letting her know we had to see the sheriff and that it was very important.

The lady picked up her phone and paged the sheriff, nodding to us to take a seat while we waited but Shoupe exited his office before we could. I could see the man sigh when he saw us.

"what do you guys want?" He asked, his tone littered with impatience. "this" JJ began, pulling the gun from his pocket and laying it on Shoupe's desk. "this is the gun Rafe Cameron used to kill the sheriff." JJ told the man, watching as he raised his brows at us.

"you're telling me this is the firearm Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?" Shoupe repeated, looking between them. "yes, that's literally what he just said" I let out.

"and the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin" Pope added, the four of us watching as Shoupe looked at the gun.

"i- and where's that corpse again?" Shoupe asked, looking back at us. "Didn't you look?" Kiara frustratedly let out. I brought my hand to my forehead and rubbed at my temples. "I checked the hospital. I went by his house. He was out" Shoupe told us, shrugging his shoulders as he did.

"He was out?" Kiara laughed. "no shit! Cause he's dead" JJ added as I looked toward the interim sheriff with shocked eyes. "Listen to yourself, it makes perfect sense," Kiara continued.

"Just because he's not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of a homicide" Shoupe argued and I scoffed. "This is your fucking job! Do your job" I swore.

"Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit or are you just gonna sit on your ass?" Kiara hissed, as I bit my tongue to keep myself composed. "Sit there and wax that mustache, is that even real?" JJ spat, earning a shove from Pope.

"Shut up JJ," He told the boy.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt his feelings?" JJ pretended to pout, quickly getting cut off again but Pope told him to shut up. In the process, Shoupe walked from behind his desk and towards his door, opening it and signaling for us to leave.

"Get out. I got work to do" Shoupe told us, impatiently dismissing it. "Are you serious?" JJ scoffed, taking a step forward.

"and y'all are smelling up my damn office" Shoupe continued, sending a look my way. "I got that damn gun from a fucking sewer drain just so we had some evidence and you don't even care? How can you live with yourself, John B and Sarah died because you didn't believe us" I snapped, JJ grabbing onto my arm and pulling me back.

"Out" Shoupe ordered and as JJ pulled me out, Kiara slowed by the door. "Did ward bribe you? This doesn't make any sense" She let out, following behind JJ and me, Pope staying in his spot.

Pope and Kiara went separate ways from JJ and me after a while and I couldn't wait to get back to Sam's. A shower was very much needed. JJ followed me toward the outdoor shower at the chateau and brought out some clothes and two towels for me.

"Are you sure you're okay?" JJ asked again, the boy leaning against the tree near the shower. "JJ, I'm fine," I told him, again.

"so, are you actually going to go to the hospital tonight?" JJ questioned, handing me one of the towels when I reached my hand out. "I feel fine, JJ. I told Pope that mostly so he wouldn't worry. I don't need to go to the hospital" I let out as I wrapped my body in a warm towel.

"Why would you need to go to the hospital?" Madison's voice startled me and after nearly a second I sucked a breath in. I told the girl that we'd hang out tonight and I had completely forgotten.

"Hey Madi," JJ greeted the girl.

"Hey, it's nothing just Pope was worried about my arm earlier," I told the girl as I stepped out of the outdoor shower. "oh, is it hurting?" Madison asked, watching as I wrapped my hair with the second towel.

"no it's fine, just was a bit sore earlier." I lied.

"If you're still busy we can always reschedule," Madison told me, sending me a smile. "no, we just got back. JJ thought it'd be funny to shove me in the marsh and I landed in the nastiest part so I made him get some towels and new clothes while I cleaned up" I explained to the girl, placing my dirty clothes in a bag.

"You good then?" JJ asked, his question having a different meaning depending on which one of us you asked. "Yeah, see you tomorrow" I told the boy, watching as he walked into the Chateau.

"movie night again?" Madison asked, earning a smile from me.

"yeah, movie night sounds good" I answered, walking with the girl across the yard into the house and towards my room.

"How was your day?" Madi asked, leaning her head against my shoulder. "It was good," I lied.

 "It was good," I lied