TWENTY FOUR. (the worst part)

I still held the cold key in my hands

 I still held the cold key in my hands. The lights were back on and the three of us had fallen into a casual conversation.

"have Sam and Derek thought much about dates yet?" Pope asked, catching the key as I threw it to him.

"They want to have it in the spring but they haven't decided anything yet." I responded, picking at the lint on my sock. "they wanted to talk to your dad about catering though." I added, my attention fading from the conversation and focusing on Kiara as she stood from the couch and walked to the deck.

"um, I'll go" I let out, standing and following her steps. The door creaked as I opened it and I was met with the smell of fresh rained grass.

"hey," My voice was quiet as I approached Kiara. She was leaning on the railing and I stood in the spot next to her, leaning my back on the post.

"it's not you guys. It's just me overthinking about John B." Kiara admitted. "yeah, I keep trying to think about literally anything else but it's always there" I sighed. The rain had stopped periodically but water still leaked down from the roof, a few drops landing on the two of us.

"Are you still mad at him?" Kiara asked and I furrowed my brows until I remembered the fight we had before he was arrested.

"yes but there are more important things going on than what he thinks of my-" I paused and cleared my throat. I couldn't bring myself to lie that purposely. "Madison" I ignored the look Kiara sent me.

"he was being an asshole for what he said but it would be easier to be angry if he was here and not possibly facing the death penal-" My words got caught in my throat and I sucked in a harsh breath. I shook the feeling that began to overwhelm me.

"Yeah I guess you're right" Kiara sent me a sad smile and reached out to grab my hand. "the worst part is I can't even be mad, he was panicked and I guess he was sort of right. She could have done it"

"ya know, it wasn't even that. The worst part is that he accused me of moving on too fast and it's the one thing I've always struggled to do." I let the words slip from my mouth.

"you don't have to forgive him just because of what's happening. You can still care for him and worry for him without fully forgiving him for what he's said" Kiara told me and I turned, my gaze meeting Kiara's.

I didn't respond but I knew Kiara took my silence as my answer. "everything okay?" Pope was standing in the doorway now, looking at the two of us.

"yeah, we're okay" I assured him and I felt Kiara squeeze my hand again before dropping it and walking towards the door.

Pope and Kiara disappeared behind the door and I stayed back. I turned to look out at the yard again and rested my arms on the railing. The stars were bright in the sky and I took a breath in, my eyes fluttering shut.