THIRTY EIGHT. (nothing to lose)

"Hey, you guys don't have to come

"Hey, you guys don't have to come. All right?" John B let out as he looked between JJ, Kiara and me. He and Pope already standing in the shipping container. I turned to look at JJ who was already turned to look at me.

"Nothing to lose?" He asked and I bit the inside of my cheek. I met Kiara's eyes and then turned to John B.

"nothing to lose" Kiara and I spoke simultaneously.

JJ was the first to jump in and then he leaned out to pull Kiara in. I stole a glance behind me. If I did this I didn't know if I could go back to Sam again. As much as I wanted to believe he would let me come back, I didn't know if I could be okay getting shipped off to some school and moving away from a home and family I was building for myself on the island.

John b reached his hand out and I slipped my hand into his. "guess this is better than private school" I let out, pulling myself into the container.

As I got in, the pogues were already heading to the back and hiding themselves from view. I could hear workers getting close and John B tugged at my hand and pulled me into him, it reminded me of the day I found them at the motel, being held against him like that.

A worker stood at the opening, shining a flashlight in and looking around. I, even though I didn't really have to, was holding my breath. I could feel John B's heartbeat as I rested my head on his chest, the beat letting me know he too was nervous.

When I finally heard the storage container close and lock I breathed out, pulling back from John B a bit. I looked up and began to feel a tickle in my throat as I looked at the boy.

It was only a second that I was looking at him before he shot his glance down at me and met my eyes but I was pretty bad at trying to hide the smile that grew on my face when I looked at him.

"What?" He said under his breath and I looked away before looking back. "nothing" I let out.

I wasn't sure where that moment was going to go but before I could find out, the container started to move and it set me off balance.

John B's grasp tightened on my waist to keep me from falling over. JJ made a comment and John B hushed him, settling in his spot. Only a second later lots of metal clanking could be heard and then we were practically thrown from our spots, the container now in the air.

"holy shit" I muttered, clinging onto John B. "we made it" JJ let out, quickly followed by John B and Kiara telling him to be quiet.

I felt John B pull away from me and I turned to watch him move towards the vent. Almost immediately as he got to it he ducked down, his body stilling.

"what? What was it?" JJ whispered, each of the pogues looking at John B who just shook his head.

It felt like hours later when I knew it had only been about fifteen minutes from the ship taking off. I was sitting next to John B and he had his arm around my shoulder, holding me close to him.