TWENTY SEVEN. (the arrest of ward cameron)

Sarah's phone ringing pulled each of us from our conversation

Sarah's phone ringing pulled each of us from our conversation. Sarah walked away for a moment and Kiara looked over at me. "you okay? you've been kind of quiet" I nodded and before Kiara could say anything more Sarah came back around the corner, her face in panic.

"what? What's wrong?" I asked, my voice laced with concern.

"They're going to get my dad" Sarah looked faint and I stood. "now?" Sarah nodded and Kiara shot up too.

"guys! we gotta go!" I yelled to the boys through the window. "what are you talking about pretty lady?" JJ playfully asked and when he looked at me his laugh faded.

"Ward, they're going to get him now. We gotta take Sarah to see him" I told him and he nodded.

"Let's go boys, should we bring some popcorn or what?" I scoffed at John B's ignorance and wrapped my arm around Sarah. The two of us walked down the steps and I led her to the van.

It only took a moment for John B and the boys to come racing down the steps and climb in. Sarah looked down anxiously at her phone, the minutes slowly ticking down as we left the cut and headed toward figure eight.

"Can you please hurry, I need to be there for Wheezie" Sarah let out, the girl nervously picking at her fingers. John B chuckled slightly before letting her know that he didn't intend to miss her father being arrested.

At the comment, I turned to Kiara. I was upset with the way John B was acting, he had no sympathy for the fact that it was Sarah's dad he was talking about.

Sure, we all wanted Ward to get arrested but seeing how sad it made Sarah was enough for me not to show any pleasure in the fact. But maybe that wasn't fair when it wasn't the man who killed my father.

I watched as Sarah's face fell even more and I could tell she was holding back her emotions. The closer we got to Tannyhill, the more cop cars we saw. Sarah's house was swarmed with them and I could feel my heart start to race, adrenaline pumping through my veins.

The six of us rushed out of the van, racing towards the fence and gate. "can you see anything?" Kiara whispered to me, both of us on their tippy toes. "no, you?" Kiara shook her head at the question.

"fuck it, I'm going over" John B let out, hoisting himself up and going over. He landed in the yard and impatiently waited for the rest of us.

JJ got over and leaned back, giving his hand to me. I muttered a quick thanks as I got over, Kiara soon behind me.

Sarah ran towards the house, towards Rose and Wheezie. "let's get this show started" John B bit back his smirk. I shoved him and he glared at me. "what? We're all thinking it" He defended and I scoffed.

"you don't think you could show some sympathy for Sarah? You think this is fun for her? How do you think it makes her feel when she hears how happy you are to see her hurting" I shoved JJ's hand from my arm and started to walk towards Sarah.

Sarah told her sister to go into the house and I could see how tense she was. "he's out back I think" I nodded and wrapped an arm around the girl's shoulder, both of us rushing over to the dock. I faintly heard the boy's and Kiara's voices get closer.

"Dad!" Sarah yelled as we ran. Ward was on the yacht with a drink in his hand acting casual as if this wasn't going to end the way it was. Shoupe stood yelling at him to come back in and both men were now whipping their heads back as they heard Sarah shout.

Some officers tried to stop the six of us but Shoupe waved us through. "what are you doing here Sarah?" Ward asked, watching his daughter with a worried stare. "Dad what are you doing?" Sarah yelled, her attempt to plead with him.

"Vic, you gotta get her out of here? She can't be here right now!" Ward let out. I still held the girl against me and I had a feeling it was the only thing keeping her standing.

"just come on in and you, you can talk to her," Shoupe told the man but he shook his head. "Sarah, I'm so sorry baby. I can't" Ward walked to the edge and began to pull the anchor up. Sarah squeezed my arm.

"What are you doing? Dad! No, no, no!" Sarah shouted to her dad.

"Ward this ain't gonna end the way you want it to! You don't need her seeing this" Shoupe warned but Ward didn't seem to care. He continued to walk down the ladder.

"No dad, don't leave! Where are you going?" Sarah cried, the girl moving from my arms and trying to move forward. "I love you" Ward yelled to her as he disappeared into the cabin.

I wasn't even sure what had happened but a second after I was in John B's arms and she looked out to the water, the explosion still wild. A choked gasp left my lips and I felt my knees grow weaker. I looked at Sarah with tears in my eyes and watched as Topper caught the sobbing girl before she fell to her knees on the dock.

I looked at John B as he held me, the shocked look on his face fading into a blank stare. I knew he wasn't happy, not about the man being dead but the murder of not only the Sheriff but also the murder of his father had been given some form of cruel justice. He kept his gaze forward, not once looking toward Sarah or down at me.

JJ moved towards John B and me, trying to pull us away. Kiara and Pope moved with us but when I moved forward, John B still stood there, staring out at the rubble that was left of the boat in the water. I saw Topper sit on the dock and pull Sarah into his lap, cradling the girl.

I stopped and JJ turned to me, following my gaze out to the dock. "hey" He whispered but I shook my head, there was nothing he could say. I watched Shoupe approach John B and pull him away. He complied, taking steps away from the dock and finally turning, slowly meeting my eyes. I held the stare for only a moment before turning.

By the time the five of us had made it back to the van the sun was nearly down, the cool wind blowing through the rolled-down windows. No one said much on the ride back to the cut, there was nothing to say. It was such a drastic and dramatic change in feeling than the adrenaline that coursed through each of us as we drove there.

None of us wanted Ward dead, but we all wanted him arrested. We all wanted him to pay for what he has done but none of us expected this to happen. It was something we hadn't anticipated and watching it happen was something that took the words away from all of us.

There was nothing we could do to reverse what had happened that night and as we got onto the cut there was nothing I wanted more than to fall asleep and wake up again that morning, and for everything to go differently.

But that would never happen.

i kind of love sarah and elaine i'm not gonna lie