THIRTY SIX. (explanations)

"What the hell were you thinking?" I sunk into my chair lower, wanting to be anywhere but having this conversation

"you stole my truck and then you totalled it. You completely disregarded everything because what? Because you want to have fun and go on a treasure hunt with your friends?" Sam was fuming, and it's not like I could blame him.

"It's not like I was having this crazy fun time okay" Sam raised his brow at my argument and I tipped my head back.

I was sitting at the kitchen table with Sam and Derek. Shoupe had dropped me off about five minutes ago and I was screwed.

"I can not believe you were that irresponsible" Derek was mostly staying out of the conversation, just there to mediate if things got too heated.

"what the hell even happened? Can you at least explain that to me?"

"After I left here we drove back to where the van was stuck and pulled them out. And then, we went to the church to try and find this cross" I let out and Sam held his hand up to stop me.

"what cross?" I scratched the back of my neck. "oh I get it, treasure hunt" All I did was nod and he signalled for me to continue her story.

"We figured out, or actually I kind of figured out" Sam sent me a look. "right sorry, we figured out that it was in one of the beams and Pope climbed up to them"

"in an old church that was falling apart, you let your friend climb up the beams?" Sam cut me off and I shook my head.

"no, he just went and did it, we were all yelling at him to get down but he didn't. And Sarah got a crowbar so he could break open the one that was hollow." I continued, looking between both boys before continuing.

"there was a wasps nest that we pointed out to him and everything seemed to be fine and we had found the cross. It was massive and I'm pretty sure completely gold." Sam sent me yet another look. I cleared my throat before continuing.

"the part of the beam he was holding onto gave way and he fell, but he caught himself and we made a pile of cushions for him to fall on and when he did fall he was fine, totally fine" I empathized the last part. "and then the cross fell and we all moved out of the way, and we were going to get the cross out but it was super heavy and then Pope started freaking out" I winced when I thought about it all.

"his eyes were almost swollen shut and he could barely breathe so JJ drove us to his cousin Ricky's, who's a paramedic and he gave Pope uh" I stumbled over my words, trying to remember. "Ricky gave him a pediatric dose of epinephrine because he was having an allergic reaction. But it was like ten times the normal dose and at first, it was so scary we thought that Pope had died and that his heart stopped but after like a few seconds, that felt like forever he like shot up and he was fine"

"but like, he wasn't technically fine, he was like super super hyper and like he had more energy than I think I've ever seen anyone have. Ricky told us he'd be like that for like thirty minutes but Pope insisted we go get the cross and he jumped into the truck and we started driving"