1 | To New Beginnings

//Momo Yaoyorozu recalls something...//

Being born into a famous hero family, my family's wealth allowed them to create connections with some very influential people

Being born into a famous hero family, my family's wealth allowed them to create connections with some very influential people. Furthermore, being affluent meant people looked to us to help fund multiple institutions throughout the years, in Japan. As a child, I remember going with parents to visit an educational facility that an arduous amount of work had supposedly gone into. This visit was likely to gain the favour and support of my parents, that had to be the reason for the invitation.

'Mr. Yaoyorozu, I think you'll be pleased with the progress we have made so far.' our tour guide had said.

My parents making an appearance was merely for show, there were definitely more pressing matters they needed to attend to; they were busy people after all. I don't think they were particularly interested. However, it would look bad if they didn't show any support for something that the tour guide claimed had 'the potential to draw out the best of people's ability'. My parents walked ahead of me, and while lagging behind, a mop of green hair caught my eye. A young boy playing chess. At the time, I didn't fully understand how the game worked, but I was able to understand that...

'He's beating everyone...', I whispered to no one in particular. With just a few moves, his opponent would be beaten. Someone would get up and take the seat of the loser, as if trying to avenge a fallen soldier. I was entranced for who knows how long, before my mother returned to pull me away. In all the time I was watching, not a single one of them prevailed, and the whole time, the boy maintained a completely neutral expression. I would completely forget about this entire visit until many years later.

 I would completely forget about this entire visit until many years later

THE PRESENT

Izuku: I see. So this is where Mom lives now.

I got out of the taxi, and looked at the apartments. What was this feeling? Anticipation? I had been away for a very long time, but now I would finally be seeing her again.

Izuku: Hello?

I knocked once, twice. Then I heard clattering, and what sounded like plates dropping?

Izuku: Maybe I've got the wrong place...

I was about to leave, when a woman with a face almost identical to mine, and disheveled hair, threw the door open.

Inko: I-I-Izu? Is-is that really you?

She was sobbing, and before I knew it her arms were wrapped around me. Instinctively, I hugged her back too. Had I felt something like this before in the past? If so, how could I have forgotten it? It was warm and inviting.

Inko: I'm s-s-so happy!

She cried for what seemed like an eternity.

Izuku: I'm home, Mom.

I went to my room, and after unpacking, I helped her set the table so we could eat. She hurled a lot of questions at me.

Inko: Izu, how was your time there? I'm sure you made many friends! Do you have a girlfriend yet? Oh, what do you want to eat tomorrow? I wonder if I still have leftover ingredients...

It was only natural she'd ask so many questions. I had been away at a private school for many years, and one of its policies was that no outside contact was allowed. All Mom could do was receive monthly reports of my progress. Though, I don't exactly know what sort of things they say in those reports.

Izuku: Fun. I've enjoyed myself and I've learnt a lot of things in the time I've been gone.

She looked at me with a blank expression. Actually, it seemed like there was a hint of  concern.

Izuku: Is everything okay?

Inko: Well it's just that you've been away for nearly 10 years, but you don't seem to have much to say...are you sure you're okay?

Izuku: I'm fine, promise. To be honest, I was a bit of a loner...n-not that I'm incapable of making friends or anything! At least I hope...

Inko: Well as long as you're okay...what about academically? How were things there?

Izuku: Eh, okay I guess. My grades were pretty average.

Inko: I see! Well, truth be told, I wasn't a very brilliant student either!

She laughed. I wondered just what the hell they'd been putting in those reports, but her reaction more or less confirmed my suspicions.

Inko: I can't believe it...my son! He's really sitting here right in front of me! Hisashi would be so happy to see how much you've grown...

Hisashi Midoriya. My late father. His passing was the reason I'd been sent away to a private school, where they promised I'd be taken care of. At the time, only my father was working and we were just managing to get by, so his death would make life extremely difficult. Mom would later receive a visit that changed everything.

Izuku: If you could see me now, Dad....what would you think of me?

Inko: Ah, I've been beating around the bush...

Izuku: Hm?

Inko: Do...do you still want to be a Hero? I wasn't supportive enough of your dream as a child. I promised myself that the next time I saw you, I'd support you with my all!

Oh, that. I averted my eyes, but I knew I still needed to give an answer.

Izuku: To be frank, I don't really care about becoming a Hero anymore. I'm Quirkless, I can't even imagine the amount of danger I could be in. That aside, there will always be people in trouble, but that doesn't necessarily mean I have to be the one to save them, y'know?

She seemed shocked by that, but then it was like a wave of relief came over here. Had that been the answer she was hoping for?

Inko: I hate to admit it, but a part of me is glad...I'm-I'm scared of losing you after just having got you back. But if you wanted to, I wouldn't stop you-

Izuku: I don't. Really.

I wanted to change topics.

Izuku: Mom?

Inko: Yes?

Izuku: Do you have any idea why my school was closed down?

Inko: I'm not sure...

Izuku: I see. Well, on the topic of school, I'm applying for U.A.

Inko: Wait, but-

Izuku: The General Education Department, that is. U.A boasts a top-notch general studies course that could allow me to go on and attend some of the best colleges in Japan. Pretty good, right?

Inko: W-Wow! Is that really what you want, Izuku?

Izuku: Yes, I'm sure.

ELSEWHERE

'We need to be proceed carefully.'

'Right, right. This lawsuit could derail everything we've worked so hard for. But we can't let it end here. By next year, I'm sure we'll have things running again. Right, Garaki?

'Of course. I'll make sure that everyone receives the best education possible.'