IV. Library Visitors

• Akari •

It was time for Akari's shift to begin.

She yawned as she took in the pile of books she'd have to re-shelve. She thought back to her breakfast this morning, thinking about how odd things turned out. She had expected to discuss information with Kurapika only, but she ended up running into Killua and his best friend, Gon, having an unpleasant conversation with Killua, and seeing Illumi for the first time.

Illumi... Seeing him allowed her to put a face to her greatest threat, according to Killua anyway. She wondered why he disliked her so much. She didn't do anything to him or Killua, and he didn't know about her research either ...did he? She'd have to ask Killua later. Right now, she had work to do.

She had just started sorting books, looking up briefly to see several students walk in. Among them was Illumi — weird — and another familiar stranger. Was that ...Chrollo?!

Her heart sank as her suspicions were confirmed. As they headed towards the library counter, Akari pretended to not have noticed them.

"My, it's been a while since we've last seen each other." Chrollo was first to speak. "You haven't changed an inkling, Akari."

Akari jumped at the emphasis on her name. She finally looked up to face Chrollo. He hadn't changed much himself, but he was wearing a ridiculous fur coat. It was summer. "Why are you wearing a winter coat in the middle of the summer?"

"That's your first thought?" Chrollo chuckled, clearly amused. "Well, this is what I usually wear. What did I wear last time?"

"You were wearing a suit, your hair was down, and you had a bandana or something wrapped around your forehead." And you looked more handsome, too. What happened?

"Ahh, I see." Chrollo turned to introduce Illumi. "This is Illumi. We partner up on many missions."

"So he's another walking scum?" Anyone associated with Chrollo was scum in Akari's mind.

Illumi's eyes widened. "Not really. Just because you don't agree with certain careers doesn't make those people scum."

"I'm sorry. You don't see anything wrong with thievery and murder? Oh wait. You're a Zoldyck. What would you know about a precious life?" Akari eyed her threat coolly.

"You're the one who's friends with a professional assassin. Did you forget that Killua is also a Zoldyck?" Illumi questioned.

"No, I did not forget, but thanks for the generous reminder," Akari shot back.

"What makes Killua better than me?"

"Gee, I don't know. Perhaps the fact that he feels remorse for his actions?"

"Mmm, I don't think so." Illumi crossed his arms. "Killua is trained to kill. When he meets an individual, his only purpose is to decide whether to kill them or let them live. Don't be surprised if he turns on you one day," Illumi warned. He seemed to be waiting for another retort.

Akari stared at the weirdo in disbelief. "Wow, you're delusional. You-"

Before she could say more, Chrollo interrupted. "Well, that's not a nice way to introduce yourself, Akari. I expected better than that."

"Why are you here, Chrollo?" Akari was losing her patience with her two visitors.

"Honestly, just wanted to see you in person again." He smiled, but his eyes told a different story.

"I don't believe you."

"Believe what you want." Chrollo shrugged. "Oh, Illumi would like to use the Hunter library located here."