VI. Critical Information

• Ging •

"Hey kiddo."

Akari looked up to see Ging leaning against a tree. "So we meet again." She laughed. "I must say, it was hard to find you, but alas, I did not give up hope."

Ging smirked. "Small correction. I let you find me."

Akari rolled her eyes. "Please." She pretended to be offended by placing her hand on her chest and creating an exaggerated offended expression.

Ging chuckled. "If I didn't want you to find me, you wouldn't be able to."

"Everyone has their vices, and yours just happens to draw you to this place around this time of year."

Ging gulped. He had not expected that. "Ahh, you're very observant."

"I'm not five."

Ging placed a hand on her shoulder. "I know. You've definitely grown into a fine, young lady. Your father would be proud of you."

He considered asking her how Gon was doing but thought otherwise. It didn't appear that the young Hunter had made the connection between him and Gon yet. Eventually he'd like her to know, but it didn't seem like now was the right time, not to mention she would be wondering how he knew that she and Gon met.

She was here for something. Her eyes showed concern, and he wondered what was bothering her.

"So," she began. "This will be a wild explanation. I don't know if you will approve of the whole arrangement, but I'm not here for advice. I'm here for some information on my father."

Ging watched the conflicting emotions run across Akari's face. He motioned for her to continue.

"I may or may not have agreed to a sketchy business relationship, and the 'good' is exhange of information. This client, so to speak, is a contract killer. They were hired to kill an individual named Cliff. The only person I know that is associated with that name is Dad." Akari paused and looked up at Ging after realizing she'd been looking at the ground the whole time. "How is Dad the target if he's dead? Who is using his name?"

Ging was alarmed at the mention of his old friend's name. Akari was right. Her father was the only one associated with that name. "I will have to get in touch with my connections to find that out. I don't know of anyone else with that name either."

"When the contract killer talked to their contract provider, they said that it was impossible for this 'Cliff' to be dead because they had seen him. My description of Dad and the provider's description of 'Cliff' did not match, so I know it's not Dad. I'm mad that anyone would use his name and be prominent enough to be hunted. It feels like a huge slap in the face."

Ging thought about everything Akari just said. This was serious, considering the confidential nature of Cliff's previous position as a Hunter. "I don't know what to tell you other than advise you to watch your back. If this imposter chose that name deliberately, you may be in danger yourself. It's better to be safe than sorry." Ging paused. "Wait, did the contract killer tell you anything else?"

Akari nodded. "Yes. This 'Cliff' guy is apparently super dangerous due to his advanced use of nen."

"I see." Ging sighed. "Well, I'll look into it. Stick around for a couple of days, and I'll get back with you on my findings."

"Thank you, Ging. I'm thankful to have you in my life."

"Sure." Ging walked away, knowing he couldn't contain his joy after hearing those words. He didn't want Akari to know they affected him. He wasn't the best replacement of a father for the young adult, but he tried his best to watch over her.