IX. Fight!

• Feitan •

Feitan stumbled. "What?" How the hell did she know about her?

"I said, what would your sister think of you? You clearly cared enough about her to look for her." Akari's eyes held a fierce look.

Feitan was stunned. Akari wasn't supposed to know about Mika at all. "How'd you know about her?"

"I have my sources," Akari responded confidently.

Phinks, clearly shocked himself, spoke up. "Feitan, don't lose focus."

Feitan nodded. "Right." Without hesitation, he charged at the young Hunter and swung his sword at her. She jumped out of harm's way. How?

An unsettling feeling began to rise up in Feitan's chest, one he'd so long suppressed. Normally, he'd have no remorse when it came to killing, but his sister's request to get rid of her own daughter was a difficult one. It was a new level of heartlessness in Feitan's eyes.

Since Feitan had missed Akari, Phinks used that as an opportunity to rush at the girl and try to grab her. As long as she was in his grasp, Feitan could do anything to her. Unfortunately for Phinks, Akari slipped out of his reach and kicked him in his back. "Yooowww!!" he yelled.

Feitan snapped out of his thoughts in time to see Akari create a cloud of dust and leaves around her. When it all settled, she was gone. Feitan whipped his head around and searched his surroundings. Did his niece just make a fool out of him?

Phinks was still on the ground, clutching his back. "Man, she knows how to deliver one hell of a lethal kick!" He looked at Feitan. "Who is she anyway? Is she normal?"

A confused Feitan shook his head. "She's a Kurta. Apparently a Kurta's power increases when he or she is very emotional." He crouched down to inspect Phink's back. "Can you stand up?"

Phinks shrugged. "I think so." He grunted as he steadied himself against a tree.

Feitan looked around one more time. "Let's get out of here before anything happens. I don't want a surprise attack, especially with you down."

Phinks nodded. "Sorry I couldn't be of much help."

Feitan waved him off. "It's fine. Just don't tell anyone we failed. We'll get her next time, dead or alive."

• Akari •

While the cloud was still up, Akari dashed out of the forest. Every second was critical for her survival. She was proud of herself for managing to get out without using either of her rare nen abilities. As long as no one knew, she would be fine.

As she neared the opening of the forest, she slammed into another body. Akari fell upon impact, and the other person tumbled backward. Akari looked up to see who was in the way of her escape in this critical moment. Her heart beat wildly inside her chest.

The other person groaned as they sat up. "You really should watch where you're going, even if you're in a hurry."

Kurapika!

Akari was dumbfounded. What was he doing here?

"Anyways, are you alright?" Kurapika had gotten up, dusted off his clothing, and made his way towards Akari. He extended his arm to help her up.

Akari gladly accepted the kind gesture. "I'm really sorry about that." She rubbed her temples. How much sleep had she lost these last few days?

"It's fine." Kurapika wore a concerned look. "Let's get you to a safer place." He placed his hand on her back and walked out of the forest with her.