XIII. Empty Threats

• Akari •

Illumi asked Feitan and Akari to meet him in the study room they used at Yorknew Public Library just a few days prior. Fortunately, Akari was working that day, so she was already there. She would just need to ask one of her coworkers to take over at the library counter until she got back.

She watched as Illumi approached her from the entrance. He stopped at the counter and asked if she had booked the study room.

"Mmmhmm," Akari nodded. "I'll join you when Feitan gets here." Before Illumi walked away, she asked, "Why are we meeting again?"

"We need to ensure Feitan switches his allegiance from his sister to you," Illumi explained. "Otherwise, this whole situation will get messier."

"Oh." Truthfully, Akari had already considered this factor, but she wasn't sure what would make the tiny, but terrifying, interrogator turn on his sister. He wouldn't be able to keep both of them alive, would he?

While Akari was still deep in thought, a sullen Feitan appeared before her. "Hey, is Fish Eyes here yet?"

Akari burst out laughing. She had never thought of Illumi that way. Still giggling, she nodded. "Yeah, he's already in the study room."

As Feitan headed to the study room, Akari asked a coworker to take over for her. "It shouldn't take too long," she said. The coworker nodded and waved her off.

When she entered the study room, she noticed the atmosphere was already tense. She eyed the two adults suspiciously. "Did something happen?"

"Can you believe this Pin Cushion?!" Feitan yelled. "If it weren't for my agility, I'd be pinned to the wall by his stupid needles!"

"Illumi!" Hearing about this made Akari angry.

"What? I was simply trying to ensure his cooperation, that's all. No harm intended." He shrugged his shoulders as if his actions weren't anything out of the ordinary.

"Cooperation my ass!" Feitan shot back. "You might be an assassin, but you're not good at cooperating yourself."

"Yeah, I know you struggle with that concept too, which is why I thought I could solve it in my own way," Illumi responded.

Feitan growled at Illumi. "You had no right-"

"Alright, alright!" Akari shouted as she slammed her palms on the table. "We don't have time for this!" Both men turned their attention to the female Hunter.

"Whatever did you need me here for anyway?" Feitan questioned as he frowned.

Illumi answered. "Well, I would like to know who's side you would take if a fight were to ensue between Mika and Akari. Mind you, this is very important information for all of us, so don't lie."

Feitan's eyes widened, then narrowed. "Is this some kind of joke?" he hissed. "What makes you think I'd have to choose a side?"

"Because I can feel a fight brewing," Illumi replied.

"A fight, huh?" Feitan questioned. "What's it to you? Why do you need to know which side I'd be on?"

"Well, we would need to know if we could depend on you," Illumi clarified.

"Tch, I'm not telling you." Feitan crossed his arms.

"I will not hesitate to kill you right now," Illumi said.

Feitan glared at the Zoldyck male. "Are you threatening me? Listen, Fish Eyes, I will not hesitate to beat your ass when I get my hands on you!"